Dad and the Dandelions

muffin57
Chatty Hen

Dad and the Dandelions

Post by muffin57 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:13 pm

Know anyone who plays golf? You may want to watch this.

Nature of Things - David Suzuki

http://watch.cbc.ca/the-nature-of-thing ... 0bcfe59f58

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Dad and the Dandelions

Post by Ontario Chick » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:31 pm

I watched that, you don't even have to be a golf player, bad enough to have an enthusiastic neighbor, who has their front lawn "professionally" looked after by a lawn company.
Steady supply of chemicals right on your doorstep. :(

muffin57
Chatty Hen

Dad and the Dandelions

Post by muffin57 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:00 pm

They use to spray the city parks where children played. I don't think that they do that any longer, at least I hope not. We live across the road from a golf course and it makes me now wonder what they use on their greens. I thought that it would be good to share this video, so that any golfers are aware of the pesticide/insecticide use and take the necessary precautions. I am also going to share it with a son and some of my nephews who like to golf.

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Dad and the Dandelions

Post by thegawd » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:03 am

I used to work for a lawn care company, I quite cuz it was always against my better judgement. I always thought well if it was so bad for the environment then it wouldn't be allowed. which isnt how the system works. I was spraying Par 3 (funny i just realized its connection to golf) and some other chemicals. I really clued into just how serious this chemical was after all kinds of mysterious skin rashes n us supposed to be tested every so often to make sure we didnt have crazy levels of pesticides in us. I worked there for 6 months, it was a fun job but I hated it! I quit and not long after par 3 was banned for commercial lawn care use and reclassified after it was determined to be VERY TOXIC! It will kill every kind of plant except grass. Its still available though, a class 4 herbicide.
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Dad and the Dandelions

Post by Shnookie » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:45 pm

A lot of golf courses are built near water - streams, lakes, etc. I wonder how much of those chemicals - fertilizers and pesticides - get washed into the water. Probably a lot. I'm not a golfer, but I have always wondered why golf courses try to have perfect lawns. Wasn't golf first played in areas with native grass of different lengths? Where is the challenge in having a perfectly green mowed lawn to hit a ball over? :)

muffin57
Chatty Hen

Dad and the Dandelions

Post by muffin57 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:38 pm

Good thing you quit Al. It is quite unsettling that harmful herbicides/pesticides continue to be sold and used when there are more natural ways to control weeds and protect our environment. I'm glad that we are on a bit higher ground than the golf course, so the water runs that way. The bad thing is though you are right Shnookie and there is a river that runs behind the golf course besides the hand made ponds they have made on the course. I hadn't thought of it at the time, but about 10 years ago we were invited over there to pick mushrooms.

Bayvistafarm
Chatty Hen

Dad and the Dandelions

Post by Bayvistafarm » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:56 pm

2-4-D is what is mainly used I believe to kill weeds and have beautiful grass. Its also used on wheat/oats/rye... still. Its got another name.... but I imagine its still used on lawns, those with a pesticide licence can get the stuff. You can immediately tell what it is, by its smell.

labradors
Head Chicken

Dad and the Dandelions

Post by labradors » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:31 pm

It appears that I don't know how to start a new thread. Seeing this video about golf courses got me thinking. I just wanted to mention about Round-up sprayed on our Canadian wheat before harvest! Scary!

http://www.ecowatch.com/why-is-glyphosa ... 87755.html

Return to “Misc Educational Resources and Topics”