Choosing an incubator?

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Choosing an incubator?

Post by baronrenfrew » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:07 pm

baronrenfrew wrote:QR_BBPOST Oh yeah, while you're at it go to Staples and get a battery backup (made for computers) Ontariochick's rig will run two Hova's for four hours. (There's a pic on the site somewhere, or we can ask OC to put it on again).
Fyi UPS Is an "uninterruptible power supply"
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

LongCrow
On the Roost
Answers: 2

Choosing an incubator?

Post by LongCrow » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:43 am

Has anyone tried the new style 2017 model Svenzun cabinet incubators yet? They tell me over 50 already sold.

They look like they could be an upgrade from earlier models. I really like the rollex style turner and the humidity drum. Seems to me it may work great but I have had some bad experience with 96 egg plastic made in China incubators.

Not sure yet if I'm willing to be one of the first to try them. Any feedback appreciated

http://www.svendirect.com/svenzun-svc-2 ... incubator/

LongCrow
On the Roost

Choosing an incubator?

Post by LongCrow » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:39 am

I think this thread has been hijacked. There are a number of spots where the word incubator has been replaced by steamer.

nekoatsume
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Choosing an incubator?

Post by nekoatsume » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:16 am

What the heck? Why would that happen?

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Choosing an steamer?

Post by thegawd » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:21 am

April Fools! LOL roflmbo
Al

Home Grown Poultry

JimW
Head Chicken

Choosing an incubator?

Post by JimW » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:26 pm

LongCrow wrote:QR_BBPOST Has anyone tried the new style 2017 model Svenzun cabinet incubators yet? They tell me over 50 already sold.

They look like they could be an upgrade from earlier models. I really like the rollex style turner and the humidity drum. Seems to me it may work great but I have had some bad experience with 96 egg plastic made in China incubators.

Not sure yet if I'm willing to be one of the first to try them. Any feedback appreciated

I have no experience with them. I have been looking at them, I really want one, but like you not sure if I want to be the first to try.
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

XBRIT
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Choosing an incubator?

Post by XBRIT » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:36 pm

LongCrow wrote:QR_BBPOST Has anyone tried the new style 2017 model Svenzun cabinet incubators yet? They tell me over 50 already sold.

Mine arrives on Monday so will let you know.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Choosing an incubator?

Post by Ontario Chick » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:33 pm

I must say it sounds good, really curious what you have to report XB

kimszoo
Newly Hatched Chick

Choosing an incubator?

Post by kimszoo » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:20 pm

I built my first incubator many years ago, and it worked so well I built another. Then I got a Sportsman cabinet model used, and really liked it. But I was of the poultry scene for a while so sold/gave them away. This spring I bought a Hovabator because I know many people have good success with them. I am not one of those successful people. I couldn't get it up to temp, had to insulate it. Luckily I had 2" foam insulation so I built a box around the incubator. That wasn't enough, so I put a reptile heat pad under it. That worked. Until the thermostat went, at the worst time. I live in an ancient mobile and heat with wood. I've maintained my house temp at 73-80, and kept the incubator in the same room as the wood stove, since I started the incubator so that's not the issue. I do not like this incubator. I will go back to building my own, or I will buy a Sportsman.

poultry_admin
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Choosing an incubator?

Post by poultry_admin » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:17 pm

Our hovabator couldn't keep the heat steady either until we found the warmest, "stablest" room in the house. Wood stove heat has too much swing in the house temperature. The sportsman has a MUCH bigger heating element, so they can increase the heat quickly and therefore keep it more stable. Also, the bigger water reservoir, more eggs and the non insulated walls help keeping it steady compared to the small batch, small mass incubator, imo.
Be brave enough to suck at something new!
Political Grace: The art of disagreeing well.

Return to “Incubating and Hatching”