Stupid question of the day

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:31 pm

So it turns out Cochin eggs can be quite round. My one girl in particular lays an egg that doesn't really have a pointed side (some worse than others)
One of those got laid this morning and of course I wanted to add it in the incubator that I fired up last night :dance:
To be sure I was setting it the right way I candled it in a room with no window and couldn't see the air cell at all no matter which way I turned it. The only other thing I could think of was dropping it in a glass of water but ended up just guessing and tossing it in. For future use is there another way?

Colleen Kinzie
Free Ranging

Post by Colleen Kinzie » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:36 pm

I'm not positive on this. But I think the air cell comes as the egg gets older and dries out a bit
Someone else I'm sure will step in with more knowledge
Ps. No stupid questions. That is how we all have learned

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:49 pm

You can still turn it after the first candling if it has been set "upside down"
Since the egg was very fresh the air cell was probably very small, but turning the egg slowly around in a full circle one way and then across the other way is best.
I have come across it in Wyandottes, sometime the egg is oval and hard to tell which end is which, but then there are only two possibilities. ;)

Happy

Post by Happy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:10 pm

Thank-you ladies!
I wasn't sure if I was stunting it by setting it upside down.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:18 am

I incubated an egg upside down for 15 days. Was so mad at myself but flipped it over and it hatched just fine. I think the important thing is to have it in the right direction just before lockdown so the chick can orient properly.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:30 pm

Good information here if we ever go for incubating. Many of our BSL eggs are very rounded.

XBRIT
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by XBRIT » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:18 pm

I have 10 Emu eggs in the incubators, 3 of which have identical ends, of course candling is not an option. I hear by placing on a flat level surface the lighter end will go up slightly. Well I have tried looking at them from every angle even tilted my head different ways but no way is there a tilt. I will admit that the eggs have only been in the incubator 3 weeks of the 7 weeks so will try again in a few weeks.

Happy

Post by Happy » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:24 pm

XBRIT wrote:QR_BBPOST I have 10 Emu eggs in the incubators, 3 of which have identical ends, of course candling is not an option. I hear by placing on a flat level surface the lighter end will go up slightly. Well I have tried looking at them from every angle even tilted my head different ways but no way is there a tilt. I will admit that the eggs have only been in the incubator 3 weeks of the 7 weeks so will try again in a few weeks.
OMG 7 weeks! I find the 21 days torture! Would love to see pics when those hatch :)

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:38 am

I always hatch flat, works best for me.

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:11 pm

No such thing as a stupid question..if you don't know and want to know, it's never a stupid question..here's one..I read just the other day on a "unnamed other forum" cough cough sputter sputter...that if running a still air incubator the humidity is not an issue unless far too high...in fact it suggested virtually zero would work...this true?..can i just unplug my fan?..if so whats the point of running a fan and keeping an eye on the humidity?
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Return to “Incubating and Hatching”