Strange wild turkey behavior

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:57 pm

image.jpg
image.jpg (67.1 KiB) Viewed 1906 times
I've seen cows circled around a snapping turtle laying eggs.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:20 pm

I bet the lead turkey went to investigate the weird thing in the road and the rest followed and instead of leaving the lead turkey saw the rest walking in the circle and forgot what it was doing and joined in. :doh:

I once was hunting and the tom hung up on a 6 inch diameter fallen 8 foot piece of branch. He could have stepped right over it. But he treated it like an electric fence!!

Also seen a flock of turkeys nearly kill themsleves trying to get through a barbed wire square fence. They were slamming into it. One bird got over and the rest just kept running into the fence-a bunch of jakes-lots of bloodied heads before they gave up. The only thing dumber than2 turkeys is a whole flock of em!!!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:14 pm

I've seen my turkeys circle a snake before, reminded me of watching meerkat manor! Luckily they were just faced with a garter snake not a cobra!
Former dairy shepherd and owner of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd pup.

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:01 pm

They are attracted to the blood, same as a chicken would be, but a chicken will dive in and make sure the job is done, and turkeys want to make sure it's dead first. If the cat twitches, that circle would be broken pretty quick

Return to “Behaviour”