Budgies????

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Budgies????

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:13 am

Still thinking about getting a couple? of budgies, finches etc for the house.
If so what number, sexes, pairs, is best. Don't want the little guys to be lonely but I want to interact with them (I think). They would have a spot where they can see outside to the patio and garden.
Ideas please.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Budgies????

Post by Ontario Chick » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:43 am

How about a pair of tiny little pheasants???
Sorry, couldn't help myself, I just do not see you as a cage bird person. ;)

Killerbunny

Budgies????

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:11 am

No no no!!!!!! You are bad OC!
They won't be in a cage all the time anyway. SO quiet in the house now Muppet is gone.
Mutt chickens for eggs

Rhonda
On the Roost

Budgies????

Post by Rhonda » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:34 am

hey Killerbunny. Love my budgies. prefer them over the finches I had. They love to play with their toys and are much more animated than the finches were. They can be very noisy and a little messy but I love having them here. There are a couple of good facebook groups with a lot of knowledgeable people when you are first getting started. I ended up with two males, but quite by accident. the people at the store where I got them were not sure how to tell them apart...it is tricky when they are young but there is a difference in the colour of the cere for males and females. I was told males make better pets and get along in a group better. Females can get bossy and mean with each other. If you want them to be tame you are better with one, they will bond with you then. I couldn't do it and figured they were happier in the long run in at least pairs. With a dog in the house and lots of large windows I wasn't planning on letting them fly loose anyway. if you REALLY want a hand tamed one, buy from a breeder who hand raises them...they will cost you around 100 bucks as opposed to the 20 the pet stores ask.
Last edited by Rhonda on Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Budgies????

Post by kenya » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:45 am

I think the budgies will interact much better than finches, plus if you only have one budgie you can teach it to talk.

Killerbunny

Budgies????

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:47 am

Thx all!
Mutt chickens for eggs

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Budgies????

Post by Shnookie » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:20 pm

I had budgies, and found they made a lot of noise and mess when you have more than one. I liked keeping finches. They only chirp and sing some of the time, and make less mess. Right now I have a male lovebird. I've had him for 10 years. He was hand raised and is a bit tame, but I don't take him out of the cage because of the dogs and the picture window. I can put my hand in and he will come on it and visit, but I keep him in the cage. He doesn't make a lot of noise, and the cage I have keeps a lot of the mess inside. He is in the living room where all the activity is. He will take food from my hand and comes over to see me when I go up to the cage.

pxtyson
Newly Hatched Chick

Budgies????

Post by pxtyson » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:59 pm

I would go with a parrotlet they are the same size as a budgie but way smarter plus they talk. I had one for a long time his name was pickle.

MommaChick
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Budgies????

Post by MommaChick » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:37 pm

I had cockatiels and parrots and came home from a party once with a budgie in highschool somehow. If you have a nice cage with a deep tray it makes all the difference in the world as far as mess goes.
If our house wasn't so cold in the winter, I would buy some finches from the guy at Mt. Forrest. He has an awesome set up with little cages and a heated tent. Thry have the prettiest colours too.
I found a single bird was way friendlier then 2 or more as well.
Momma to 4 little chicks down on The Farm
Chickens: Standard White Chanteclers, Bantam Rhode Island Reds, Bantam Black Wyandottes.
Rabbits: Black, Broken Black, & Black Otter Rex
Big Critters: Milking Shorthorns (Reg and Grade), Hay burning Horses out back, and one patient man

KimChick
Head Chicken

Budgies????

Post by KimChick » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:32 pm

I had a budgie once - for 10 years. I used to let it out of its cage for a water bath, and other times just for exercise, flying back and forth from its cage to curtain rod, or just a quick turn around back to the cage. I really like all the different sounds they can imitate - a distinct memory is the sound of the squeaky screen door opening. It really fooled me one night when I thought it was my husband coming in the house!
My grandmother used to have one that flipped her playing cards while she played solitaire.

Return to “Tweety Birds/Caged Bird Discussion”