The Final Day *GRAPHIC SUBJECT MATTER*

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:10 pm

I have to ask, we are posting this but is it legal to do it yourself?
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:19 pm

Aye, death is nasty in the animal kingdom: a lion taking down a gazelle is tough; a komodo dragon (big lizard) taking down a deer now that's gruesome. I saw that on Mutual of Omaha's wild Kingdom; to a 10 year old boy scary and cool at the same time.
Nothing beats the scream of a rabbit who thinks he's being killed.
The cycle of life and death go together. For one to eat another must die.

Dig the grave, say goodbye, shoot the dog, cry, say a prayer, and bury him and put a big rock or plant a tree. Then when you're ready...get another dog.
I think that's more dignified than getting him stuffed and displaying him by the fireplace.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Silkie Sue
On the Roost

Post by Silkie Sue » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:28 pm

Killerbunny wrote:QR_BBPOST I have to ask, we are posting this but is it legal to do it yourself?
Good question... and one that i was not going to ask... but since it came up, i have reviewed the Bylaws of my area and it is not mentioned for or against so.... I would say discretion is important

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:30 pm

Legality...yes if its not done in a cruel manner...making him suffer...or making a spectacle of it. And best done in a private manner. Don't do it on your front lawn in a suburb.

If you hit an animal with a stick or tire iron...there's no guarantee it will die quickly.

I once was driving to Kingston (a two hour drive from Burnstown) and 10 minutes out i hit a rabbit broke its back and it crawled away. I wasn't gonna let suffer so i stopped backed up and got a tire iron (all I had handy) and hit it over the head. It made a mess with blood on my shirt...but it was done. Then I drove back and got a fresh shirt. I can see it now "yes officer I rolled through the stop sign. How did the Blood get on my shirt?"

Starting a new thread...stories of a pizza guy.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

poultry_admin
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Post by poultry_admin » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:37 pm

Good article on that subject on the PETA website. Also covers the legal aspect, but note it's for USA not Canada.

http://www.peta.org/issues/companion-an ... te-option/
Be brave enough to suck at something new!
Political Grace: The art of disagreeing well.

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:38 pm

Its also not legal to slaughter an animal (for meat) within city limits unless licensed to do so. I know that's true in many cities. Its also a part of the bylaws of the cities that do allow chickens in the backyard. (In other words do it in a private place).

I am not sure about pet animals but how far can that go...down to a goldfish?

G Williams
On the Roost

Post by G Williams » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:09 pm

If done right(much like Ross described) a head shot with a 22 hollow point is the quickest instantaneous method going.
The only exception might be cats. They don't die easy.

Silkie Sue
On the Roost

Post by Silkie Sue » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:39 pm

that is not what i wanted to hear.... so, a cat, would have to be sleeping for this method to work? because if he was really still and you did the gun 2" from the top of his head, would he not go down like another animal?

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:58 pm

Silkie Sue wrote:QR_BBPOST that is not what i wanted to hear.... so, a cat, would have to be sleeping for this method to work? because if he was really still and you did the gun 2" from the top of his head, would he not go down like another animal?

Yes Sue but they squirm a bit but not as much as a chicken . But I've never found it to be not much if done right . Putting said critter in a wire cage set on ground with blanket over it helps in containment . Luck
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:02 pm

Geez...this is quite interesting actually but I hope that new members don't get put off...lol..heck, half the chicken people I know try desperately to rehome roosters cuz they can't do them in...but I know what you mean by the stress of the euthanasia at the vets...that's a real misery for all concerned...and the pet on its last legs absolutely knows something is not going to be good...
Last edited by TomK on Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Return to “Misc Educational Resources and Topics”