Buckeyes

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Buckeyes

Post by baronrenfrew » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:51 am

This is the "Best of Buckeyes" from the old site: worth repeating in my opinion

Most of what's here is "back and forth" with Robbie (reprinted with permission)

We are fortunate that Nettie Metcalf, the originator of the Buckeye breed, has documented her work. Clearly she was an exceptional individual. Here's a link to it here, in her own words: 
http://www.americanbuckeyepoultryclub.co...tory2.html It's very interesting reading, although a bit hard on the eyes. She also published her linebreeding method : http://www.americanbuckeyepoultryclub.co...chart.html

http://www.americanbuckeyepoultryclub.com/Standard.html gives a link to the 2010 american standard

http://www.shumakerfarmbuckeyes.com/Bree...Color.html talks well too..

they refer to the cushion issue, but also about presence of black barring which is good in the feathers-helps with the deeper colour.

Baronrenfrew I spent a lot of time researching all the breeds. Personally I prefer single combs but because of frostbite, I decided on pea combs. Rose combs can come with fertility issues.... Everything I know about Buckeyes comes from what others have written about them. It came down to a choice between partridge chanteclers and buckeyes. I liked the cornish, but I am more interested in egg laying ability than meat, and from what I read Cornish roos aren't great with other roos and can be very nasty. Buckeye owners seem to agree that in general they have very good temperaments, they are social with their owners, the roos are supposed to get along with other roos and with other breeds. The (Jeff) Lay strain of Buckeyes are supposed to be very good layers.... while the Partridge chanteclers are reputed to be more meat bird than layer. Their eggs seem to be on the small side too. The buckeyes seem to be a good combination of hardy, personable, decent layers, not too big which I like (I don't want a 10 lb. rock sized breed). They can forage well but are OK in confinement too. The hens will go broody on occasion but not too often and are good mothers. I like the glossy red feathers too. The white chanteclers interested me as they are supposed to be good layers. I like the look of the hens but although the roos have beautiful tails , I can't help it the roos remind me too much of Headless Mike. I like the bigger blockier head of the buckeye- (I really like Brahma heads). Plus I didn't want an all white flock. I might add a white chantecler hen or two down the road.... some people have crossed the buckeyes with the white chantecler hens and that might be a fun thing to try. People who own Buckeyes like them- practically no complaints. They almost went extinct but now they have a good following- I figure they must be popular for a reason! When I added up all the "must haves" the Buckeyes came out on top as the best all around breed for me. They seem to be an easy, no hassle breed and personality was number one on my list of must haves. Americaunas are almost Ok but I am not overly fond of blue eggs, and I personally don't like muffs and beards that much ..... I do like the sleek, racy look of the old english games and buckeyes have a bit of that gamey look to them. I suppose it depends on what you are looking for, more meat or eggs or whichever feature appeals to you, as to which breed you'd get.

https://ultimatefowl.wordpress.com/2008/12/29/buckeyes/

http://www.aviculture-europe.nl/nummers/13E01A10.pdf

Aye, friendly they are. Mine want to hang around me when I split wood (why burn diesel when you have an axe?) and I have to shoo them away.

Performance poultry will probably have some in the spring, Order as early as you can, they sell out fast. Contact them for the catalogue and price list, it comes out in January. http://www.performancepoultry.com/index.php. a note from other breeders is that "performance"  birds are lighter in colour and a bit smaller than the standard

There's a new Buckeye breeder, in Alberta. Crystal is working very hard to produce Exhibition quality Buckeyes. 
http://www.lalallamas-chickendivision.com/index.html
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Robbie
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Buckeyes

Post by Robbie » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:32 pm

Here are some Buckeye photos. They are fluffed because of the cold, but for the SOP they should have harder feathering.
My rooster, 9 months old. He's got a bit of black smut in his body feathers (under the chest), one wattle is a bit wrinkled, but he has good eye colour, good even feather colour overall, good dark yellow legs. His comb and wattles are OK but could be a bit smaller. His back is a bit short but it is nice and wide (can't see in these pics).
My rooster and some of his hens (Buckeyes in the back!)

Hen, should be a darker and more even red, her eyes are too light, she has some white in her primaries, and her earlobes are wrinkled- but she has good size and I like the length of her back. This is a New Brunswick hen.

Buckeye rooster and sex link cross hen

Cockerel vs. hen feathers

That first Buckeye egg
:sFun_mornincoffee:

shaded
Newly Hatched Chick

Buckeyes

Post by shaded » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:23 pm

Hi Robbie et al
Not sure if this is right spot, but Ethan is keeping some of his birds, so he is still a source for info and birds-he's just downsizing.
Ethan Wiggins is selling a good sized breeding group this spring of 10. He's got very nice birds. Not sure if he's posted on here yet in the sales or if he's even joined, but he's got a good rep & a closed flock. ewggns@gmail.com or Canadian Heritage Breeds on FB. I'll post the poultrytalk ontario info to him so he can connect directly if he's not.
Last edited by shaded on Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buckeye,WhChantie,StdDarkCornish,BCMarans,LB leghorns,Ancona,BBSAmeraucana. BSW,BR,Slate,Narry Turkeys.
Member of Rare Breeds Canada/Heritage Livestock Canada
Honey fr homestead bees & Maple Syrup.Lumber, Heirloom fruit trees&plants.
Tamworth Pigs, Goats coming.

Micah and Kiah
Newly Hatched Chick

Buckeyes

Post by Micah and Kiah » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:53 pm

Could you private message or email me his contact information? Does he show his Buckeyes?
shaded wrote:QR_BBPOST Hi Robbie et al
Not sure if this is right spot, but Ethan is keeping some of his birds, so he is still a source for info and birds.
Ethan Wiggins is selling a good sized breeding group this spring. He's got very nice birds. Not sure if he's posted on here yet in the sales, but he's got a good rep & a closed flock.
Always learning, and trying to breed closer and closer to standard.

:chicken-hatching:

shaded
Newly Hatched Chick

Buckeyes

Post by shaded » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:32 pm

Hi he does show them
He posted the sale on fb Canadian Heritage Breeds group

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Buckeye,WhChantie,StdDarkCornish,BCMarans,LB leghorns,Ancona,BBSAmeraucana. BSW,BR,Slate,Narry Turkeys.
Member of Rare Breeds Canada/Heritage Livestock Canada
Honey fr homestead bees & Maple Syrup.Lumber, Heirloom fruit trees&plants.
Tamworth Pigs, Goats coming.

Robbie
Head Chicken

Buckeyes

Post by Robbie » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:11 pm

Thanks Shaded.
Ethan's contact information can be found on the American Buckeye Poultry Club's website, on the breeders page.
http://www.americanbuckeyepoultryclub.com/Breeders.html

Next spring I'm hoping that my sweet, sweet Buckeye rooster from Ontario (Shaded's) (he's such a nice guy! LOVE him he never gives me any grief, he's good to all his hens and I've already got great fertility)and my New Brunswick hen will have some lovely, lovely chicks. They do compliment each other so they will be a breeding pair .

la-chicken
On the Roost

Buckeyes

Post by la-chicken » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:16 am

So funny seeing my name.
I am working very hard on getting the correct Buckeye into Canada.
I am even in the works to develop the Canadian Buckeye Club under the umbrella of the American Buckeye Club.

But, if you ask me my opinion on how a bird looks.....I am kind but to the point.
I have even developed a more critical and I have a vision as to how a Buckeye needs to look.
I breed for quality. I will seriously work with others

Crystal
lalallamas-chickendivion
Champion Breeder of the Best Birds I can. Bantam White and Black Wyandotte, Bantam New Hampshires, Bantam and LF Buckeyes, OEG- Black. Waterfowl: Embden Geese, Black Magpie, Blue Magpies and Blue Swedes.

Robbie
Head Chicken

Buckeyes

Post by Robbie » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:30 am

:welcome: Hey hi there Crystal great to see you here! My Buckeye rooster and hens have really shaped up lately, they have matured a surprising amount in the past month and I'm very, very pleased with them. :wee: Almost a year old now, they have come a long way. I'll be re posting some photos once they reach a year old hopefully you'll have a look at them.

la-chicken
On the Roost

Buckeyes

Post by la-chicken » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:27 am

Robbie:
That is great to hear! Those slow feather/ maturing birds can be frustrating. But, once they start to fill out it is a wonderful gift.

My hens at the moment look, how do I say it< TERRIBLE>. All the loving is doing a number on them.
Figuring out the weak line, the ugly line, and the line that has potential. I wish I could fast forward the results.

This year, I am concentrating on skull width. MUST be wide and have some sort of 'frowl" . If not..cull no matter what!
Champion Breeder of the Best Birds I can. Bantam White and Black Wyandotte, Bantam New Hampshires, Bantam and LF Buckeyes, OEG- Black. Waterfowl: Embden Geese, Black Magpie, Blue Magpies and Blue Swedes.

Robbie
Head Chicken

Buckeyes

Post by Robbie » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:37 am

Despite not having a very successful hatch,and hatching so few, (new sketchy incubator and all), I'm glad I have the Buckeyes as a foundation that I do have. Given that only 1 in 10 is worthy of reproducing I think I've beaten the odds :-) and I'm hopeful that the next generation will be even better. It sure is a long wait, not till next spring! La-chicken I'm sure you will find there are some very nice individuals in your flock, and like you I like a nice broad head, so far there's promise. I suppose all you can do is pick the best and cross them, and hope the chicks are even better.

Return to “Breed Specific Discussion”