Washing your chicken in preparation for photo shoot

Post by ross » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:09 am

Sounds like my daughters day care lol
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

GreenriverChicks
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by GreenriverChicks » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:31 am

I wash my speckled Sussex in the laundry tub in my basement. Not for fun--only for shows :) It's too cold to wash them outside this time of year. I found out it was even too cold inside for them!
I set up crates in front of the wood stove under heat lamps and they were still shaking --so I pulled them out and blow dried them.
I have a double utility laundry tub and filled one with warm soapy water and the other I used to rinse them. It really wasn't a big deal--even for the roosters. The hens can't touch the bottom of the sink so they struggle less. I think once they realize you're not letting them go they resign themselves to it.
I had one rooster decide that he would rather live in the house with us after being bathed and spending a night inside!
Don't be scared. I was a bit intimidated at first but it's no big deal.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:29 pm

Well turns out I wasn't brave enough to wash anybody, just washed the feet and dusted the top, it will just have to do.
Taking in to consideration the effort needed to get few birds photographed glad I skipped the bathing bit, they were annoyed enough at me when asked to stand still ;)

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:41 pm

Ok am I the only fool that bathed chickens? Do you know how much the tiniest little dot of Dawn dish soap suds up in a fluffy Cochin butt? I rinsed and rinsed and rinsed...and rinsed lol.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:50 pm

Happy wrote:QR_BBPOST Ok am I the only fool that bathed chickens? Do you know how much the tiniest little dot of Dawn dish soap suds up in a fluffy Cochin butt? I rinsed and rinsed and rinsed...and rinsed lol.
You are diligent person to be congratulated on your efforts!!
20 years ago I would have been right there with you.
Being elderly makes you choose your battles more carefully ;)

windwalkingwolf
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:24 pm

I did not wash, just touched feet up enough to sort of see leg colour instead of mud. I have no efficient way of getting them dry quickly, and I couldn't envision having half a dozen birds wandering my kitchen to be near the wood stove :-D

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Post by thegawd » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:14 pm

I washed the one and only RIR pullet I entered. she was sooooo good about it to. now I didnt go as far as submerging here in water and really scrubbing her with soap n all, instead I used a hose in the laundry tub, a wash cloth and a tooth brush. with luke warm water slowly coming out of the hose I got her wet. scrubbed her legs the tooth brush. then gently wiped her down with the wash cloth. rinsed her off with the hose, rung out the cloth and wiped her down again. I went over her comb, wattles and beak with the wash cloth and then I gently towel dryed her off. she seemed to really enjoy it it was weird not once didnshe attempt to escape or fly away. she stood on the dryer and then on the freezer while I ran around trying to figure out my photo booth. :-D
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Happy

Post by Happy » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:02 pm

Omg i blow dried lol. They loved that part!
I admit I do wash butts but only in summer in a kiddie pool outside when they can lounge in the sun to dry off. I have chickens that insist on sitting on my lap and I refuse to let that happen with "will-nots" hanging off them.
Admittedly there was a couple that really needed the bath. That'll have to do them till it's back to 30C again.
@thegawd I'm glad to hear I'm not the only crazy one ;)

Silverlacedmom
Newly Hatched Chick

Re: Washing your chicken in preparation for photo shoot

Post by Silverlacedmom » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:08 pm

I wash my chickens usually in the summer months. I take them into the bath tub and I use a TON of dawn, yea....

I am trying to get rid of any mites or anything that could be deep in their down feathers, and yea it takes a lot of rinsing to get all the soap out. They are usually so heavy from all their feathers being soaked with water that they become very docile.

I also do this to clean dirty bums...some of them can get really yucky. I set them out in the sun to dry or I have used a blow dryer and since they are so heavy from the water, they usually chill out and go into a trance. I have never had any bad experiences with doing this, and I havent really ever found any mites or anything wrong with the birds, but you never know!

Happy

Re: Washing your chicken in preparation for photo shoot

Post by Happy » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:41 pm

For the upcoming online show. Ran across this and I thought it may be helpful.

Return to “How to prep your bird”