Allergies and quail eggs? A possible cure!

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:43 pm

Good day: i post this with a nasty skin problem: not poision ivy (or not the crazy itchy version of it) but a similiar reaction: I've had poision ivy several times over several summers as I get in the woods and work on the firewood. This year i've been specific to avoid the areas with ivy other than to drive by on the tractor. But the oil can be picked up by dog fur, or stay in old boots or clothes, or be breathed in if its burned (but be driven by?!). The skin bumps are an allergic reaction that affects some folks more than others.

I also have regular seasonal allergies that only bug me in May, suspect oak tree pollen as we have lots of oak and the Weather network app shows different allergens/pollen in the air and there's a definite overlap.

But I've read from many websites, including a doctor's research from the 1960's, that the eggs from coturnix quail contains an element (protein?) that suppresses allergic reactions in people. Some folks blogs swear by the eggs, and it is recognized for this use as an old medicinal cure by old Chinese/Japanese/Egyptian societies. They were all serious breeders of cot quails. http://www.motherearthnews.com/homestea ... g-zbcz1311
http://www.innovitehealth.com/products/ ... tails/5/68

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to- ... _page=true

So getting a laying flock of quail hit my "to do soon list" after allergies hit me this spring.

Anybody here with any experience with this?
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:45 pm

No experience with quail eggs but plenty with allergies...:-P
I did help look after quail and had to be careful not to squish any under the feeders and waterers....
Curious to hear if it works baron!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Post by thegawd » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:57 pm

I really need to eat more quail eggs! but building up my flock first, one more great big hatch for the year and then Im done. getting about 7-8 eggs a day from a bunch of young hens. Clawton helped increase my flock by hooking me up with his young breeder flock, thanks man.

I just love these birds, they are so easy to care for and are easily reproduced. man they only take 17 days to hatch n 7-8 weeks until full grown.

its said they were the first birds domesticated thousands of years ago by the Egyptians.

how are those eggs doing? fingers crossed! :fingersx:
Al

Home Grown Poultry

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:16 pm

And here's a serious study http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/store/10 ... e111f21239

https://pachealth.co.nz/Shop/ProductMan ... x?id=25267

I spent the last two hours digging through google (with one eye on the Blue Jays game). There's two "Allergy releif" products, one from Europe and one from Australia, that are made from quail eggs. They say to consume 3-5 eggs a day, raw (or mixed w orange juice) for releif from a long list of allergies and other health problems. Looks legit. I better get my pens set up!
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:45 am

You are going to have to let me know how that works. If it can become airborne, I'm allergic to it, including the dander of every animal I own LOL. The "seasonal" allergies start for me in March as the snow is melting and mold is sporing and don't quit until hard freeze. Some antihistamines work for me, some don't, some I can't take because they can cause a 'long q-t interval' and that is very bad for me in particular...but I can't take ANY of them anymore--back when Reactine first came out, I took it daily for over a year, worked wonders, especially awesome if I went to someone's place and they had pets (you get used to your own somewhat but every animal is chemically different). I could pretend I was a normal human being who did not have to wash their eyes out with soap LOL. But that was before it was discovered that taking certain antihistamines long-term could have unfortunate side effects. For me, I got restless legs at night, and then daytime too, and then arms. It quit when I quit taking the stuff, but now ANY antihistamine even benadryl, has that effect on me, and I can't sleep for the desire to twitch and stretch.
I've gone the allergy shot route, too--three years of shots gave me scar tissue in both arms and approximately only two years of relief for my twice weekly trouble, so I won't be doing that again. Quail sounds like a PITA too, just because of the size factor...but I like eggnog!! So if there is a real benefit, and no real detriment (like, long-term quail egg use causes hairy palms or something) I would give it a go. As it is, I cannot bathe my dogs or vacuum floors if I want to breathe. Not that giving up either of those things has been a hardship :D

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:02 am

Hummm Maybe I need some Quail. , what are they like to look after?

Maximus

Post by Maximus » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:59 am

baronrenfrew wrote:QR_BBPOST And here's a serious study http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/store/10 ... e111f21239

https://pachealth.co.nz/Shop/ProductMan ... x?id=25267

I spent the last two hours digging through google (with one eye on the Blue Jays game). There's two "Allergy releif" products, one from Europe and one from Australia, that are made from quail eggs. They say to consume 3-5 eggs a day, raw (or mixed w orange juice) for releif from a long list of allergies and other health problems. Looks legit. I better get my pens set up!

This is very interesting. I suffer allergies this this time of year and unless drugged I look like the walking dead with puffy eyes and sniffling. Antihistamines are immune suppressor So I hate taking them. They also have a variety of side effects, as Jan as poined out. I leave the antihistamines for when I need to be presentable in public otherwise I just deal with it via local honey and oil of oregano which keeps it somewhat tolerable.

I'm very interested now in these quail these quail egg remedies. I just wish somebody would test it first and report back. Lol!

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator

Post by thegawd » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:23 am

I keep quail in rabbit hutches on half inch welded wire or better. I feed the adults Purina Gambird Layena and Purina Gamebird Startena to chicks. fresh water n thats it. they do perfectly fine in our winters outside but if you want them to lay an egg everyday of the year, which they will, they need to be under 14+ hours of light per day. I've made my set ups as automated as possible with large feeders and auto poultry water cups. the cups wont work in the winter so I just use 6" round ruber dishes and fill them once a day.

the key to growing up these James Marie Farms Jumbos to there maximum size is simple. grind up or sift out the finer particles and feed that for the first week, I use a picknic bug mesh cover but a blender would work very well, I need one. give them lots of heat, a bit hotter n longer than one would for chickens and 24 hours of light. after 7-8 weeks I just put them in grow out pens, maybe sooner if the weather is really hot out. and of course fresh water at all times. doing this will grow a JMF Jumbo to a pound or more. not following this routine can permanently stunt the bird but wont hurt the genetics so there offspring wil still carry the potential to grow to the maximum size.

I love these birds and they are only a fraction of the care involved with chickens. I got into the poultry world with quail, I still lived in the city and most bylaws dont mention quail so they are allowed.

:beer2:
Al

Home Grown Poultry

HappyHomesteader
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by HappyHomesteader » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:35 am

The eggs are very tasty too. I have read a lot on the benefits of adding quail eggs to the diet, allergy relief being only one of many huge benefits!!!
Lizzie

goatgal35
Starting to Crow

Post by goatgal35 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:00 pm

I suffer with multiple allergies. I did the five years of needles and it really helped. I felt like I had my life back for about 7yrs. Three years ago the symptoms started to return. This year I started egging coturnix eggs and I have been mostly symptom free. I don't feel like I am far enough into this experiment to know if the eggs helped or the drought helped. Dead plants don't give off much pollen :) Quail are cute and super easy to care for so I'm gonna keep on eating the eggs and see if I get good results next year.

Return to “Misc Educational Resources and Topics”