Egg Eater??

Colleen Kinzie
Free Ranging

Egg Eater??

Post by Colleen Kinzie » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:57 pm

Omg! No eggs broke. But just checked on her and she Is now dust bathing in her nest with the eggs in there :big chicken:
I think she is gone senile. Lol
Time will tell

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Egg Eater??

Post by thegawd » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:14 pm

LOL Good Luck!!! hey as long as shes not breaking them theres hope!
Al

Home Grown Poultry

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Egg Eater??

Post by ross » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:40 pm

Gone from an egg eater to an egg beater eh . Go figure . Luck
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Egg Eater??

Post by Farrier1987 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:07 am

I have taken the hen and blunted the beak with the shop grinder, carefully. Has worked for me, but you need to get it stopped, it is an infectious disease that can go through the flock, and there is no vaccine, but soup will do the trick if it is getting desperate and cant be stopped any other way.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Robbie
Head Chicken

Egg Eater??

Post by Robbie » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:17 am

oops sorry wrong thread
:sFun_mornincoffee:

Dominion Link
On the Roost

Re: Egg Eater??

Post by Dominion Link » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:55 am

This has become a problem for me in the last few weeks and I'm afraid that my entire little flock of carefully accumulated Speckled Sussex are in on it. I was getting great egg production until a few weeks back and then nothing. Every few days I might get a single fresh egg if I was lucky. Walked in on them busting apart an egg last week and absolutely competing to get as much as they could of it. Busted the shell apart so thoroughly that you wouldn't even have known there had been an egg there. Extremely frustrating to have finally gotten the number and quality of SS that I wanted, only to have this happen..... The longer I've owned chickens, the more I've come to like ducks.
The longer I keep chickens, the more I like ducks.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:50 am

That is frustrating and once the whole lovely flock is introduced, it's time for rollaway boxes.

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:34 pm

Ontario Chick wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:50 am
That is frustrating and once the whole lovely flock is introduced, it's time for rollaway boxes.
What are roll-away boxes?

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:49 pm

Just read through the entire thread of comments because I was about to start another called "Egg Eater Revisited"
I caught the culprit in the act!!! She was in a nesting box, sitting on about 4 eggs, and eating one that got shoved onto the coop floor. It may have had a very thin shell, but that is beside the point. So, I managed to shut the coop door (after shoving her out of the box and grabbing the eggs) before she could get out of the coop, prepared a rabbit cage with food, water, and straw & golf ball for her isolation, grabbed her out of the nesting box (where she had returned to), and put her in the cage.
The problem is: most of the hens vie for the same nesting box, whichever one it is that day.
So.... how long should I keep her isolated? 3 days? Monitor her own egg laying behavior and go from there? Just make soup?
Any and all suggestions are welcome.

G Williams
On the Roost

Post by G Williams » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:11 pm

I have a rooster who is my only breeder this year. I have some 4 week old sons that I will grow out But will have to Keep him in isolation and only expose him to my best hens once or twice a week until I can secure a decent replacement or raise some of my own.

Return to “Behaviour”