The Egg and I; Betty McDonald

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

The Egg and I; Betty McDonald

Post by Farrier1987 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:28 am

How could I have not reviewed this one here before? A well written book with a belly laugh on every page.

In the 1930's a woman marries and moves to a chicken farm on the Olympic Peninsula near Seattle. A collection of her experiences. Almost nothing about poultry, thats just where its set. I enjoy it as an adult, but kids 12 or so get into it and won't put it down.

https://www.abebooks.com/book-search/ti ... macdonald/
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Re: The Egg and I; Betty McDonald

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:44 am

I read that book for the first time in 1970, when we suggested to our city parents and in laws that we were considering moving to the country.
Both set of parents were absolutely horrified and mt MIL send me this book.
I have re- read it about every 10 years (have all of her books) one of my favourite writers.
As a point of interest "Ma and Pa Kettle movies were based on the book gormless neighbours.
In 2010 when I spent some time on Vancouver island I finally realized that Olympic mountains actually exist :).

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Re: The Egg and I; Betty McDonald

Post by Ontario Chick » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:01 pm

In one of those mildly freaky coincidences, the House Sitting Services website , I am registered with, has on offer this morning a house sitting opportunity on the Olympic Peninsula.
If it wasn't for December, I would be very tempted to take it.
Would be sort of like completing a circle in some way. ;)

Return to “Books, Movies and other flake out activities”