Book Review, Backyard Poultry Raising

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Book Review, Backyard Poultry Raising

Post by Farrier1987 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:47 pm

Well I asked for it, so I will review one I bought for about ten dollars including shipping from Abe Books on line. Used library book in good used condition.

Back Yard Poultry Raising, by John F. Adams, Doubleday and Co, 1997

Good information well written, easy to read and understand. Not in depth science, but practical info. He discusses hatching, home made brooders, economics, tastiness of the eggs and meat, when and how to butcher, coop requirements etc.

Probably not a lot new for the more experienced poultry keeper, but it never hurts to brush up on a few things.You always learn something new, and I learned about the importance of the water temperature to scald with for easiest plucking and appearance of the skin for the table.

All presented like a visit with a friend. I quite enjoyed it. I would especially recommend this one to someone that is a sort of new to raising back yard birds.

This one gets my 5 star rating, for readability and information.

See, like Will Rogers said, "Everyone is ignorant, except on different subjects." I have fooled around to try to put up five stars on here, but don't know how to do imojees. So I am demonstrating my ignorance. Help Martin.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Re: Book Review, Backyard Poultry Raising

Post by Happy » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:50 pm

🐔🐔🐔🐔🐔

How's that?

Return to “Books, Movies and other flake out activities”