Beauty Tipd From Moose Jaw; Will Ferguson

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Beauty Tipd From Moose Jaw; Will Ferguson

Post by Farrier1987 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:34 am

Beauty Tips From Moose Jaw (Travels in Search of Canada) by Will Ferguson; Knopf 2004

I have read one other Will Ferguson years ago, and enjoyed his turn of phrase. I frugally found this one in the used book store and parted with some brass.

This book is a collection of his experiences various places in Canada. From Victoria to Saint Johns, with stops in Fort Vermillion, Moose Jaw, Churchill MB seeing the bears, Kakabeka Falls, Chicoutami, and Madawaska. Not a travelogue, but you sort of accompany him on various adventures, as he also explains some of the history that made th place what it is.

Quote I liked with he and his son at Kakabeca Falls: "Though I hadn't specifically promised my wife I would not let Alex fall off a cliff and be swept away, its the sort of thing of which she would probably disapprove."

Enjoyable, informative with tiny little known snippets of history, good bedtime reading.
Attachments
You can't tell a book by its clover they say.
You can't tell a book by its clover they say.
418_.jpg (9.36 KiB) Viewed 5366 times
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Re: Beauty Tipd From Moose Jaw; Will Ferguson

Post by Jaye » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:51 am

I have enjoyed reading some of Will Ferguson's books in the past too - quirky sense of humour and a way with words, for sure.
I will have to try to find a copy of Beauty Tips and give it a read myself.

"Road Trip to Rwanda" springs to mind as the last Will Ferguson book I have read. A very good read, albeit not a funny topic.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

la-chicken
On the Roost

Re: Beauty Tipd From Moose Jaw; Will Ferguson

Post by la-chicken » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:27 pm

I read this book this summer. Loved it.
Champion Breeder of the Best Birds I can. Bantam White and Black Wyandotte, Bantam New Hampshires, Bantam and LF Buckeyes, OEG- Black. Waterfowl: Embden Geese, Black Magpie, Blue Magpies and Blue Swedes.

Return to “Books, Movies and other flake out activities”