Bathroom Readers

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Bathroom Readers

Post by Farrier1987 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:33 am

There is a series called Uncle John's Bathroom Readers. They are each maybe 300 pages. Full of articles of two or three pages, or a quiz or two, or a page of short quotes on a subject or from someone. (Example, a page of quotes of mashed up words from George W. Bush.) Also some scientific articles about how something (like photosynthesis) works, but put forward in language that the layman doesn't have trouble understanding.

They sort of remind you of the old Readers Digest, before it became an infomercial schlock publication. Sorry, no pictures, so I know that counts Ross and a few others out.

The new one comes out in November or so of each year, but they are expensive, $30 or so, and I have taken to refusing to buy them new. Abe books on line is where I will get them now. Probably under $10 with shipping. https://www.abebooks.com/Canada/index.shtml

The series is numbered by the edition year, like OUR 17th, There are also other ones periodically like Bathroom Reader Plunges into Canada; Plunges into History or whatever. Most are pretty good reading, but some of the periodic ones are not as good. And I personally don't care for the ones for kids.

Anyway, fill your head with useless interesting facts which I call brain lint. I read in bed before I go to sleep, have since I was about 6, and my mother read to us before that. This series is perfect for that. And about a year after you have read it, you can read it again and it is mostly all new again.
Attachments
uncle-johns-bathroom-reader-uncle-johns-slightly-irregular-bathroom-reader-uncle-johns-bathroom-reader-amazon[1].jpg
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Re: Bathroom Readers

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:26 am

Thanks for the tip and link, will check it out for sure

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Re: Bathroom Readers

Post by ross » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:33 am

Haha thanks Farrier for the mention . It's nice to not be just another face in the growd . Lol
My favourite outhouse reader of all time was by Charlie Farguarson " JOGFREE OF THE WORLD & OTHER PLACES " . Until cousin Harold started using the pages for rectal sanitation . If yu catch my drift . Lots a pics too . Keep on Reading on ...
Attachments
image.jpeg
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Return to “Books, Movies and other flake out activities”