Posing a bird for a picture

Moderator: OnlineShow-Secretary

poultry_admin
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Post by poultry_admin » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:25 am

@windwalkingwolf my android has a feature in single picture mode that when you press the picture take button and keep pressing it, it takes individual pictures like a machine gun. Not sure what it will do with the flash, but might be worth a try? Each individual picture is in focus. Get ready to delete a lot of pictures!!
Be brave enough to suck at something new!
Political Grace: The art of disagreeing well.

kelliszoo
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by kelliszoo » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:18 pm

OK, I better quit now, cause I really can't see any difference in those two pictures you posted OC. Can you point out what makes one better than the other, cause they look near identical to me, I'm playing one of those "Find the differences" games and not doing so well.

kelliszoo
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by kelliszoo » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:29 pm

OMG WWW, laughing at your post because it sounds a lot like the dry run I attempted today. Have a fiberglass kennel that's meant to be built into a wall I figured would work great. Was super overcast out and light was horrible, flash wasn't much help, birds wouldn't cooperate, think my booth is a bit big, as they kept moving away from the chick waterer I had for size comparison, though for my big Muscovy drake it was none too big... Ended up with a couple very mediocre shots of the ducks and the jersey pullet I tried to photograph. Notes for next time better light, line the greenish kennel with white corrugated plastic, something like carpet on the floor instead of straw, they were slipping and didn't want to stand well... Oy, this didn't seem near so difficult in my head...

Best I got today, will try again on the weekend to see if I can't make them look half decently presentable...
Attachments
PB161057.JPG
PB161042.JPG
PB161029.JPG

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:03 pm

Kelli, if it makes you feel any better, I think those are better than any of the ones I've taken so far!
With that ticking clock there at the top getting louder and louder LOL, I'm going to give it another go, so at least if nothing else, I've got a larger selection of bad photos to choose from. Some I will save for a Pooper, er, Blooper thread Lol. Anyone who says chickens are creatures of pure instinct and can't have personality, has not seen the expression I captured on a hen's face as she presented her backside to me.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:27 pm

92.jpg
92.jpg (27.21 KiB) Viewed 5509 times
If you look at the head of the bird in the first picture, it's over the chest which gives the bird a good "round fit in the tea cup" shape typical for Wyandottes. He is also better placed within the frame of the photo booth.
In the second picture the head leans out, which makes his chest appear shallow and his back too short
81.jpg
81.jpg (24.36 KiB) Viewed 5509 times
***************************************************************************************************
Now that's a fine theory, now that I have taken few pictures (and by that I mean hundred or two) and struggled with the bird staying anywhere near the soup can and try to look like a chicken, like ross pointed out, a bit of cage training would go a long way, but bit too late now and we will all hope that Troy understands that although the birds look stunning in the pasture, they turn in to a confused complaining nincompoops or a raging banshee and will take it in to consideration.

Kelli save your out takes for after the Show, you don't want to show your birds until the judge has seen them.

Happy

Re: Posing a bird for a picture

Post by Happy » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:43 pm

Ok so since it was such a beautiful day I set my photo booth up to try to get a few pictures done for the on-line show. I set up on top of an outdoor cage. Bad idea. Last year I marched everyone inside and they were very still (I'm sure out of fear). This year they gawked around and watched the dogs and the other chickens that came out to gawk. They stretched their neck up to peer over the photo booth and then knocked it over. I got 3 of them done I think after many many pics taken. Few more to go but those ones are getting done inside for sure.

windwalkingwolf
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:00 am

I think I have two females sort of cage-trained and almost camera ready. But we will see. Two more that I wanted to take pictures of, now have visible frost damage from the two days it got down to -37 and -40.
The turkey jakes started displaying yesterday, to everything, at any time, so I'm not sure If I'll be able to photo them or not.
Here we go, rodeo #2 :D

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:57 am

Unlikely I'll get pics of anything. Boo!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Happy

Post by Happy » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:36 am

@Killerbunny you HAVE to! Reigning champ can't just walk away! We need to see those pretty turkeys.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:43 am

Killerbunny wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:57 am
Unlikely I'll get pics of anything. Boo!
Same here, no room for a photo booth this time of year.

Return to “How to take the perfect picture”