Washing your chicken in preparation for photo shoot

Moderator: OnlineShow-Secretary

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Re: Washing your chicken in preparation for photo shoot

Post by windwalkingwolf » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:48 am

I cringe at the thought :-/
I still don't own a blow dryer. If I absolutely must wash, I'll use a heat gun (from a distance lol). It uses a bazillion watts, but at least I didn't have to shop for a blow dryer lol

Happy

Post by Happy » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:00 am

Hmmm heat gun....hair dryer. Sounds perfectly interchangeable to me roflmbo

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:02 am

Use the gentle cycle, and not too much detergent, the foam gets to them.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:02 am

Happy wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:41 pm

For the upcoming online show. Ran across this and I thought it may be helpful.
Very cool, her beak needs to be trimmed, otherwise ready for the show.
A bit sorry I don't have the space/ courage and energy needed for it, I have seen the difference between a washed and unwashed bird at shows and the difference is very obvious.
Also I don't have any birds that are that relaxed ;)

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator

Post by thegawd » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:43 am

Now now, even I have a hair dryier.... for the chickens n whatever else I may use it for. LOL.
Al

Home Grown Poultry

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:24 pm

Happy that is exactly right except one thing you would not put on the petrolium jelly (vaseline) untill the last minute at the show , it attracts the dirt like you would not believe and as they preen themself you get it everywhere and in no time a grey bird.

Happy

Post by Happy » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:38 pm

I use coconut oil on my guys. Not for show prep just for dry combs. It doesn’t seem to attract the dirt as bad lol.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:20 pm

They had the call ducks swimming in little tubs just before the OPB show judging!
And for the record I did NOT bathe the turkeys before the show it would have been too painful. We did clean up legs and feet as best we could!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

windwalkingwolf
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:23 am

windwalkingwolf wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:24 pm
I did not wash, just touched feet up enough to sort of see leg colour instead of mud. I have no efficient way of getting them dry quickly, and I couldn't envision having half a dozen birds wandering my kitchen to be near the wood stove :-D
A thing I thought I'd never hear myself saying: "I just shampooed some chickens." Three, actually. In the kitchen sink. And, it went surprisingly well, not the wet mess I was expecting! I guess it helped that two of them trust me implicitly (or they DID LOL) and the third is a very young, very simple creature that was too befuddled by the whole thing to struggle much or flap. The only thing I've ever tried to wash on a bird up to this point, was feet to soak bumblefoot or treat scaly mites.
I must admit to a little befuddlement myself--I'm pretty proud of myself for how well my very first poultry spa adventure went, but then I catch myself with a small feeling of "Dude, you just SHAMPOOED CHICKENS. So they'll look pretty for the camera. Don't you have better things to do?" And then the next thought is "I wonder if I could clean a turkey or a goose?" Though I imagine such an endeavor would require me literally showering at the same time.
I go back and forth :rofl:
Anyway, the chickens DID huddle by the woodstove until dry, but refused to help the process along by preening, so still looking pretty ratty in places. There are some feathers growing in after molt, and the sheaths are not ready to break off just yet, so they're going to look a bit ratty anyway, I think. I tried to pull a couple down the feathers, but they're still stuck tight enough I couldn't get a fingernail under the base, so I left them alone. Maybe they'll crack enough in the next few days that they'll be ready to break off? I am ashamed to admit that as much as I handle my birds, I've never thought to note how long that process takes. Thoughts/experiences with post-molt bird feather sheaths? :smilewithrooster:

Happy

Post by Happy » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:55 am

I had 2 barred rock girls who's butt feathers didn't lose the sheaths 2 full months after molting (older girls that couldn't or wouldn't reach back there to preen). But they were waxy and crumbled off in bits when I fluffed them up with just a light scratch. I don't try to peel them off close to the skin as that seems to cause discomfort...just from feather tips up until they're bothered by it. Congrats for successfully completing you first spa day!

Return to “How to prep your bird”