Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Re: Giant runt = giant slob!

Post by ross » Mon May 25, 2020 3:57 pm

spuddog59 wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 2:25 pm
ross wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 9:32 am
O pigeons are notorious for selecting what food they want & very wasteful . If want to feed mixed grain feed what they will eat in 15 minutes once a day only or 10 min twice a day . take what’s left even what they throw out or if you want to leave feed in 24/7 Feed pellets I feed turkey finisher pellet . Has all vitamins & minerals in it & no waste . Takes some awhile to catch on but they won’t starve in transition . Left over grain on floor will mold & cause sour crop . Luck
Thanks, Ross! Good tip about the sour crop. I will get right on that! Now what to do with this unopened bag of mixed grain....grrr.

BTW what is the protein content of the turkey finisher? My birds are for squab. You raise show birds? Racers?

Sux about the Harrow Fair this year...Was hoping to meet some pigeon peeps!

I put whole corn free choice as well as pellets free choice if feeding to eat . Don’t know off hand protein you’d have to check with your supplier . The bag of pigeon feed could be used as a top dressed treat once in a while . Don’t over do
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

spuddog59
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by spuddog59 » Mon May 25, 2020 7:13 pm

ross wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 3:57 pm
spuddog59 wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 2:25 pm
ross wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 9:32 am
O pigeons are notorious for selecting what food they want & very wasteful . If want to feed mixed grain feed what they will eat in 15 minutes once a day only or 10 min twice a day . take what’s left even what they throw out or if you want to leave feed in 24/7 Feed pellets I feed turkey finisher pellet . Has all vitamins & minerals in it & no waste . Takes some awhile to catch on but they won’t starve in transition . Left over grain on floor will mold & cause sour crop . Luck
Thanks, Ross! Good tip about the sour crop. I will get right on that! Now what to do with this unopened bag of mixed grain....grrr.

BTW what is the protein content of the turkey finisher? My birds are for squab. You raise show birds? Racers?

Sux about the Harrow Fair this year...Was hoping to meet some pigeon peeps!

I put whole corn free choice as well as pellets free choice if feeding to eat . Don’t know off hand protein you’d have to check with your supplier . The bag of pigeon feed could be used as a top dressed treat once in a while . Don’t over do
Thanks, Ross!

spuddog59
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by spuddog59 » Mon May 25, 2020 7:25 pm

Jaye wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 2:40 pm
@spuddog59 , since your birds are somewhat cramped in their housing, maybe you could try modifying a J-feeder, so that your feeder hangs outside the pen/cage, like this "youtuber" did for his quail cages:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l48tOIdRkLo
Ooooh, that was good! Thanks!

Return to “Pigeons”