Thinking about raising quail

JimW
Head Chicken
Answers: 2

Re: Thinking about raising quail

Post by JimW » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:17 pm

Yes I drove over 4 hours each way to pick up that quail set up in Quebec. It is made by a small cage maker/company and worth every penny, about $400 for the 4 tier unit. I hope to get a second one next spring.
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:29 pm

Quail delivered: enablers R us! :beer2: :farmer:
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:55 pm

Thanks,Bert! ... and thanks Lisa!
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:54 pm

Need pics @@Jaye !

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:27 pm

@Happy I will get some pics once the permanent pen is finished and they're moved in. Because of the weather, progress has been much slower than anticipated, but it will be ready for occupancy in the next day or so.
@baronrenfrew , I need some extra info on the quail: how old are they? If they are laying age, they will need additional calcium, since I'm feeding them 24% protein chick starter crumble at the moment, which has pretty much zero calcium. Thanks!
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:15 am

They're very sweet, and quite tame. They have only flushed a few times, but only flew up maybe 8 inches, not high at all, and that was because of unexpected sudden movement outside their cage. I really like their voices. Melodic and not very loud. I'm going to enjoy having them around.
I have names for them, but only the male has his assigned so far. I will need to be able to tell females apart before they are named.

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:43 am

Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:17 pm

First egg today. And a second egg.
They were finally introduced to their new home today. I think they approved. Pics tomorrow. Today's pic is of the first egg, next to my Silkie's egg.
IMG_20170930_105442.jpg
IMG_20170930_105633.jpg
Last edited by Jaye on Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:22 pm

Little benefits...just reinforces the addiction.

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:27 am

I'm really bummed out at the moment. I lost my biggest pullet sometime last night. She got stuck between a board that keeps the bedding in and the full access door that I use to clean out the coop. The board also serves as a baffle against any draft that may come in through the vent that supplies airflow from the bottom of the coop. It looks like she injured her foot and somehow wound up wedged upside down between the board and the door. She must have died late last night because she was in full rigor when I opened the door this morning.
That design flaw has been rectified now, but too late for the poor little girl.
Only one day into finally having them outside and out of the laundry room, and we're down to two pullets. The rest of them don't want to come out of their house into the run today either. I don't know if it's because they've been traumatized or because it's cold and damp out at the moment. I'm fairly certain that the little one that died was one of the two pullets that laid an egg yesterday too. Two females and one male are not enough to keep outside over winter, so I have to find at least two more quail pullets of the same age in order for the ones I have to stand a chance.

Return to “Game Birds”