Thinking about raising quail

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: Thinking about raising quail

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:22 am

That's lovely and they're so cute! How big are they? Aaargh -no!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:49 am

That looks like a great set-up! So cute.

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:02 pm

Thanks, @Killerbunny and @Happy
KB, they are not that big - when I cup my hands around one, I can easily touch my fingers together. I will try to take a picture this evening in comparison with something else beside one to give you a better idea.
They are very sweet. I'm hoping the deep litter method will work out for them. So far, I'm really liking the easy care aspect of it, and they seem happy scratching and pecking about. Yesterday when I got home I went to check on them, and they were all together having a lounge-about under the pine bough by the clay pot in the corner. They don't even want to go into their house at dusk any more - I have to physically put them in and close the door on them. I think they would sleep out in their run now if given the chance. This is much different from earlier this week, when they wouldn't come out of their house at all, and when I finally put them out in the evening, they only stayed out long enough to eat and drink and then straight back in.
I was told that they startle easily, but I haven't really found that to be the case with this bunch. If I greet them as I approach, before they actually see me, they mostly just give me a cursory look and they continue on with doing what they were doing.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by windwalkingwolf » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:10 pm

I love your quail house!

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:50 pm

Thanks, @windwalkingwolf ! I really like it too. Just a few finishing touches left to do.
Believe it or not, a lot of it is built from repurposed materials. It's also removable, so if it gets super cold this winter we can move it into the garage where there is power for heat.We are of course kicking ourselves for not building it just a bit bigger, because the insulation made it much smaller inside, so not much room for additional quail. However, hubby says he has enough of the original (repurposed) siding and insulation to replace both side walls to increase the interior size. Not a small task though, so since we only have three quail ATM, that will wait until spring.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:35 pm

Very nice set up, they should be happy there.

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:29 am

Thanks, @kenya . I appreciate your feedback on the house and pen because you raise quail yourself and would have some insights.

The whole side wall panel folds down for access and the board that keeps the bedding in comes out for spring clean out. I'm just using underneath the pen for storage at the moment, and have to get it a bit more organized) and in the spring we are planning on enclosing it with welded wire too, as a tractor enclosure so that they can be on the grass during the day. The whole pen can be moved around; it has wheels. Hubby still wants to build a smaller access hatch within the side wall access panel when time and weather permits.

They're still not going back to their house on their own at night, so I'm trying to figure out some sort of solar lighting that will work on a timer to give them light in the house in the evenings. Then, hopefully, I won't have to put them to bed every night anymore.

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:14 pm

Hmmmm...If you want them to go in at night you need to play music...mine loved the harpsichord. Its best to get a solar panel and battery for the sound system so you can move it around the yard without wires. You'll have some extra power so you can run a quail cam with wifi. Hmm..does your wifi service the coop?

You might have enough power that the wheels can be self powered and you can move it around the yard like a robot lawn mower.
image.jpg
Sheesh Jaye...they are quail! You don't need first class accomodation with a presidential suite!

(And if I get reincarnated as a quail may I have swanky digs like that. I tip my hat to your hubby.)

:beer: :farmer:
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

JP*
On the Roost

Post by JP* » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:31 pm

Great looking Quail pen.

I want to get into this but I don't have enough brownie points yet. :dunno:

Colleen Kinzie
Free Ranging

Post by Colleen Kinzie » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:47 am

@Jaye and @kenya