WTB: Cream Legbars / Salmon Fav / Black Copper Marans  FOUND

Forum rules
Any photos that accompany your ads must be of your own birds. If you have permission to use someone else's photo (for instance you have purchased that bird and now own it but are using the previous owner's photo) in ALL cases these photos must have credit given to the person that owns the photo. Anyone using someone else's photo without credit given, or found to have scooped a photo off the internet without acknowledging the source will have the post removed. Please give credit where credit it due-folks purchasing your birds/eggs would like to see YOUR birds, not someone else's. If you are posting a wanted ad and wish to add a photo of the ideal bird you would like, please reference the source website/person where you got the photo. People are expelled from schools for plagiarizing, let's not get into the habit of doing that here please. Please use the check mark to show you have found or sold your items, or that your trip has been completed in the sub-forums.
Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: WTB: Cream Legbars / Salmon Fav / Black Copper Marans

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:53 pm

Insulation in the coop is great because it also keeps things cool in summer. Ventilation is critical!!!!! Ross has some posts with diagrams. Extra heat shouldn't be an issue for anything beyond maybe 10 weeks. We started our little flock years ago with some 18 week old Freys mix. They were great and we got eggs over the winter with a supplemental light for about 14 hrs day although now it's about 11-12 hrs to give the birds a rest from maximum production. You will get fewer eggs with heritage birds BUT they will lay for many more years than egg laying specialty birds.
I think starting now would be fine with a few older birds and then add with chicks in spring.
Ask as many questions as you want, we all started somewhere.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:32 am

Rossman wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:19 pm
We are newcomers to the chicken game, so there is much we don't know yet :)

We are hoping for a target flock size of maybe 8-12 layers, we aren't too particular exactly on numbers, we were just hoping for a selection of egg colours, for variety ;) And we know that getting birds from a smaller breeder such as yourself is better than from a large hatchery...

We aren't in a super rush for eggs, but of course they would be welcome if they arrived sooner. I'm not sure what you mean by "over winter" the birds?

For a setup we're building a 16'x24' covered (metal roof) run with an 8'x8' coop integrated in one corner. I was going to insulate the coop to help regulate the temperatures but I'm not sure how much extra heat younger birds would need? We are on solar power / off-grid so power consumption may be a concern.

Thanks again for your replies!
Cheers,
mark
Since you are looking to end up with a fairly small flock, you would avoid many complications by getting your birds from one place.
Rule of thumb, the birds you hatch in the spring will start laying in the fall and will lay thru winter until next fall, when they will probably take a break.
To assure continuous egg supply, you add few new birds next spring, who will start laying just as the original birds are going on their well deserved brake.
For really good book to help you along on your chicken adventure, I recommend

Rossman
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by Rossman » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:24 pm

Ontario Chick wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:32 am
Since you are looking to end up with a fairly small flock, you would avoid many complications by getting your birds from one place.
Thanks @Ontario Chick , can you elaborate on the complications? I guess behavioural?

I will check that book out, thanks!

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:52 pm

yes, behavioral in part, but also because of potential carriers of diseases (and/or parasites). Quarantine is very important when introducing birds from new and different sources.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Rossman
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by Rossman » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:11 am

Jaye wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:52 pm
yes, behavioral in part, but also because of potential carriers of diseases (and/or parasites). Quarantine is very important when introducing birds from new and different sources.
Thanks @Jaye, Interesting. Does this mean I should have a designated "integration"/quarantine area separate from my main coop/aviary for housing newcomers for a period to ensure they are healthy?

I ordered the book mentioned above and will get it on Monday :)

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:14 am

If you buy very young chicks you should be fine but if you want to add older chicks or adults you have to be very careful of disease which could wipe out your flock. Some people won't even consider adults for that reason.

Backcountry Burrows
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Backcountry Burrows » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:14 pm

Giffen Farms wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:45 pm
I have cream legbars, can hatch out chicks for you, have a friend who has black copper marans and @coonhound bought my salmon favorelles
Who is @coonhound? I am a fellow Faverolles breeder and am trying to track down others.
We have been working hard with the Faverolles of USA club to connect quality Canadian breeders.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:13 pm

You can contact coonhound by looking him up in the Member list under quick links at the top left above index. Click on his profile and you can send a PM .
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Backcountry Burrows
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Backcountry Burrows » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:31 pm

Thank you

Rossman
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by Rossman » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:26 pm

Hi @JimW - any chance you are available (despite covid19) to supply some hatching eggs or chicks? We had placed an order with PP because they had a couple other breeds we wanted, but that's fallen through now due to their 2020 season cancellation. If you were available/able to supply some cream legbars and black copper marans we would be stoked to not have our flock delayed until next year! Wife and I both working from home in social isolation so seemed a good time to get the coop finished off and start the flock, but...*sigh* nothings ever easy :)

cheers!

Return to “Wanted”