WTB: Cream Legbars / Salmon Fav / Black Copper Marans  FOUND

Forum rules
Any photos that accompany your ads must be of your own birds. If you have permission to use someone else's photo (for instance you have purchased that bird and now own it but are using the previous owner's photo) in ALL cases these photos must have credit given to the person that owns the photo. Anyone using someone else's photo without credit given, or found to have scooped a photo off the internet without acknowledging the source will have the post removed. Please give credit where credit it due-folks purchasing your birds/eggs would like to see YOUR birds, not someone else's. If you are posting a wanted ad and wish to add a photo of the ideal bird you would like, please reference the source website/person where you got the photo. People are expelled from schools for plagiarizing, let's not get into the habit of doing that here please. Please use the check mark to show you have found or sold your items, or that your trip has been completed in the sub-forums.
Rossman
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

WTB: Cream Legbars / Salmon Fav / Black Copper Marans  FOUND

Post by Rossman » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:01 am

We are starting a new flock and are looking for the following breeds:

Cream Legbars
Salmon Faverolles
Black Copper Marans

We'd accept hatching eggs/chicks/pullets.

Hoping we can find a breeder in Canada who can help otherwise may be stuck with getting from a US hatchery :-/

We're in Eastern Ontario (near Kemptville/Smiths Falls).

Thanks!

Rossman
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Re: WTB: Cream Legbars / Salmon Fav / Black Copper Marans

Post by Rossman » Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:14 pm

@Giffen Farms is this maybe something in your wheelhouse?

Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Kbr42 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:22 pm

You can try Kevin Seward he has most of those breeds. He he is on Facebook.

Giffen Farms
Starting to Crow

Post by Giffen Farms » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:45 pm

I have cream legbars, can hatch out chicks for you, have a friend who has black copper marans
Last edited by Giffen Farms on Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What day is it, Christopher Robin? Its today Pooh, my favorite day!

Rossman
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by Rossman » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:17 pm

Kbr42 wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:22 pm
You can try Kevin Seward he has most of those breeds. He he is on Facebook.
Thanks!

Rossman
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by Rossman » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:21 pm

Giffen Farms wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:45 pm
I have cream legbars, can hatch out chicks for you, have a friend who has black copper marans and @coonhound bought my salmon favorelles
Thanks, can I PM you?

JimW
Head Chicken
Answers: 2

Post by JimW » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:17 am

I breed cream legbars, actually gold crele legbars, but everyone calls them cream. And I also breed Black copper marans. It is late in the breeding season, but I might have hatching eggs or a couple extra young birds. I would have to count.

I am between smiths falls and Merrickville.

JimW
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

Rossman
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by Rossman » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:21 am

JimW wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:17 am
I breed cream legbars, actually gold crele legbars, but everyone calls them cream. And I also breed Black copper marans. It is late in the breeding season, but I might have hatching eggs or a couple extra young birds. I would have to count.

I am between smiths falls and Merrickville.

JimW
Hi @JimW, thanks so much for your reply.

Yeah, we have gathered it is a bit late in the season to get started - we were thinking that it may be best to get the coop finished and 100% ready this year, and then acquire the flock in the spring (when I guess this is normally done). It is great to know there is someone so close to us that has the Cream Legbars and Black Copper Marans because those are the two breeds we were specifically after :D

If you thought we still had time to get underway and had the extra birds or hatching eggs though, maybe we can work something out? If it's a bad idea to get started now, that's cool also and hopefully we could sort them out in the spring ;)

Thanks again!

Cheers,
mark

JimW
Head Chicken
Answers: 2

Post by JimW » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:07 am

@Rossman

Depends on how many birds you are looking for? I might have a couple extra young birds. Plus I can collect hatching eggs that is not a problem.

It depends on how soon you want eggs? Do you want to over winter birds? Do you have a set up to raise young birds as the temperature gets cooler?

If you get young birds or chicks now then they will be laying by the end of winter/early spring. If you want until the spring, it will be hard to find anything but newly hatched chicks, then you have to wait 4-5 months for them to start laying, so you would not have eggs until probably next August.

JimW
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

Rossman
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by Rossman » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:19 pm

We are newcomers to the chicken game, so there is much we don't know yet :)

We are hoping for a target flock size of maybe 8-12 layers, we aren't too particular exactly on numbers, we were just hoping for a selection of egg colours, for variety ;) And we know that getting birds from a smaller breeder such as yourself is better than from a large hatchery...

We aren't in a super rush for eggs, but of course they would be welcome if they arrived sooner. I'm not sure what you mean by "over winter" the birds?

For a setup we're building a 16'x24' covered (metal roof) run with an 8'x8' coop integrated in one corner. I was going to insulate the coop to help regulate the temperatures but I'm not sure how much extra heat younger birds would need? We are on solar power / off-grid so power consumption may be a concern.

Thanks again for your replies!
Cheers,
mark

Return to “Wanted”