incubator  FOUND

Forum rules
Any photos that accompany your ads must be of your own birds. If you have permission to use someone else's photo (for instance you have purchased that bird and now own it but are using the previous owner's photo) in ALL cases these photos must have credit given to the person that owns the photo. Anyone using someone else's photo without credit given, or found to have scooped a photo off the internet without acknowledging the source will have the post removed. Please give credit where credit it due-folks purchasing your birds/eggs would like to see YOUR birds, not someone else's. If you are posting a wanted ad and wish to add a photo of the ideal bird you would like, please reference the source website/person where you got the photo. People are expelled from schools for plagiarizing, let's not get into the habit of doing that here please. Please use the check mark to show you have found or sold your items, or that your trip has been completed in the sub-forums.
KimChick
Head Chicken

incubator

Post by KimChick » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:04 pm

Looking for a used, but reasonably priced and reliable incubator - to fit about 20 eggs.... in the Rideau Lakes area.

Someone from a Facebook Group had one for $100 and was from Mallorytown, but it was snatched before I could respond.
So I posted a "Looking for", then someone contacted me, but it was too much of a distance away and too expensive.

If that doesn't pan out, I will be searching for chicks destined to be good layers. Our 20 have slowed down to less than a dozen a day. Today, I got 7. :(
Last edited by KimChick on Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Re: incubator

Post by Kbr42 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:21 am

What's reasonably priced? At the Sydenham feed store they have brand new for around 100.00.ill check again this weekend if you'd like.

Cheers Karen

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:30 am

I find that at this time of year laying slows, mine have slowed up too. I suspect there is a "sweet spot" for daylight hours that says it's spring and a good time to hatch babies so they are stimulated to lay eggs. Mine pick up again as the day shortens in August, September. Then they moult and all bets are off LOL!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:19 am

KimChick wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:04 pm
Looking for a used, but reasonably priced and reliable incubator - to fit about 20 eggs.... in the Rideau Lakes area.

Someone from a Facebook Group had one for $100 and was from Mallorytown, but it was snatched before I could respond.
So I posted a "Looking for", then someone contacted me, but it was too much of a distance away and too expensive.

If that doesn't pan out, I will be searching for chicks destined to be good layers. Our 20 have slowed down to less than a dozen a day. Today, I got 7. :(
Have you considered to just have your eggs hatched at Millpond hatchery? at 35 cents per egg has to be much cheeper then purchasing a used incubator, pretty risky undertaking when you are in a hurry.
Last edited by Ontario Chick on Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:52 pm

Killerbunny wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:30 am
I find that at this time of year laying slows, mine have slowed up too. I suspect there is a "sweet spot" for daylight hours that says it's spring and a good time to hatch babies so they are stimulated to lay eggs. Mine pick up again as the day shortens in August, September. Then they moult and all bets are off LOL!
Well doesn't that beat all? I did, however, collect 10 eggs today from the 20 hens, so all is not lost.
Also, the hens seem to be very slow at growing feathers after a moult.

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:02 pm

incubator $100? sure a still air machine

or a Chinese cheapo

For reliable get a “Little Giant” or “Hova bator, Genesis from GQF”. you want 1. forced air 2. an auto turner and 3. wafer or digital thermostat (my old rig had a wafer and worked great) and set it up in your basement dry (no water) so the damp basement is all you need.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:09 pm

http://www.gqfmfg.com/table-top-models/. this is the manufacturer (no CDN shipping :(

canadian distributer is https://www.berryhill.ca

there lots of hova’s for sale on kijiji. folks buy them for snakes and reptiles. add a turbo fan kit and auto turner and good to go

here’s the previous thread worth reading

Choosing an incubator?
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:51 pm

Kbr42 wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:21 am
What's reasonably priced? At the Sydenham feed store they have brand new for around 100.00.ill check again this weekend if you'd like.

Cheers Karen
About $100 is reasonable. Anything over $200 seems excessive. I will check Baker's next time I'm there, too.

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:56 pm

baronrenfrew wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:09 pm
http://www.gqfmfg.com/table-top-models/. this is the manufacturer (no CDN shipping :(

canadian distributer is https://www.berryhill.ca

there lots of hova’s for sale on kijiji. folks buy them for snakes and reptiles. add a turbo fan kit and auto turner and good to go

here’s the previous thread worth reading

Choosing an incubator?
Thanks, I will check kijiji.

Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Kbr42 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:27 am

KimChick wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:51 pm
Kbr42 wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:21 am

Cheers Karen
About $100 is reasonable. Anything over $200 seems excessive. I will check Baker's next time I'm there, too.
Brand new at Sydenham Feed Store is 125.00 I checked this weekend. :stars:

Return to “Wanted”