Goats for a weekend - browse back bush  FOUND

Forum rules
Any photos that accompany your ads must be of your own birds. If you have permission to use someone else's photo (for instance you have purchased that bird and now own it but are using the previous owner's photo) in ALL cases these photos must have credit given to the person that owns the photo. Anyone using someone else's photo without credit given, or found to have scooped a photo off the internet without acknowledging the source will have the post removed. Please give credit where credit it due-folks purchasing your birds/eggs would like to see YOUR birds, not someone else's. If you are posting a wanted ad and wish to add a photo of the ideal bird you would like, please reference the source website/person where you got the photo. People are expelled from schools for plagiarizing, let's not get into the habit of doing that here please. Please use the check mark to show you have found or sold your items, or that your trip has been completed in the sub-forums.
JP*
On the Roost

Goats for a weekend - browse back bush

Post by JP* » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:09 pm

It looks like I have found two wethers. What do goats need two small breed goats need for housing? Would a 8x4x4' shelter work (L*6*H)?

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:13 pm

I don't have any goats, or any experience with them, but did a quick Goiogle search and found this pygmy goat website:
http://www.npga-pygmy.com/resources/hus ... ousing.asp
Based on their suggested 15-20 square ft space per animal, an 8 x 4 shed would give each goat 16 square ft, if I''ve calculated correctly.
There are several goat keepers / experts on this forum who I'm sure can provide additional info, so hopefully they will check in soon.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

goatgal35
Starting to Crow

Post by goatgal35 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:44 pm

If they are out and about all day and the shelter is just for them to come and go as they please it should work. Just watch and be sure that one isn't a bully and they both go in.

JP*
On the Roost

Post by JP* » Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:12 pm

OK, thanks for the tip. I could make the shelter bigger. The shelter will be inside a larger fenced area.

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:02 am

If the two goats get along with each other, the space is enough, but I'd make it bigger so you can put food in there in inclement weather--goats don't like wet weather, or at least mine don't...they bleat most piteously if so much as a single raindrop or snowflake touches them...and they won't eat anything that's damp. Not. a. thing.

JP*
On the Roost

Post by JP* » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:48 pm

Picked up some bucklings on their way to becoming wethers Tuesday. Nigerian Dwarf Goats.
Their permanent home still needs to be finished. Finish the fence gate and re-enforce the T-Posts. In my wisdom I put their pen in the brush and brambles. Unfortunately bedrock is 4 inches below the surface. That could explain some of the tree die offs we have had.

Return to “Wanted”