Japanese Quail flock (plus optional enclosures)

Forum rules
Any photos that accompany your ads must be of your own birds. If you have permission to use someone else's photo (for instance you have purchased that bird and now own it but are using the previous owner's photo) in ALL cases these photos must have credit given to the person that owns the photo. Anyone using someone else's photo without credit given, or found to have scooped a photo off the internet without acknowledging the source will have the post removed. Please give credit where credit it due-folks purchasing your birds/eggs would like to see YOUR birds, not someone else's. If you are posting a wanted ad and wish to add a photo of the ideal bird you would like, please reference the source website/person where you got the photo. People are expelled from schools for plagiarizing, let's not get into the habit of doing that here please. Please use the check mark to show you have found or sold your items, or that your trip has been completed in the sub-forums. BUYERS please note that we do not guarantee the health of any animal sold on this forum, please do your homework when looking. Please note that we do not have any information about housing conditions, health status or truth of advertising by sellers on this forum. The old adage BUYER BEWARE applies.
Purl
Newly Hatched Chick

Japanese Quail flock (plus optional enclosures)

Post by Purl » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:07 pm

I have loved having Japanese Quail for several years now, but we are about to move cross country and I just can't take these guys with us. $50 takes the entire flock, 18 females and one male, plus you are welcome to take either or both enclosures and the remainder of their food. Good little layers, bold, friendly little birds.

The girls are very sociable. Our rooster, Zoidberg, is a coward with humans, but loves his ladies and is quite gentle.

My biggest problem taking pictures, is convincing them not to eat the phone! They are pretty spoiled. In addition to their gamebird chow, they get sprouts, bolted lettuce, and other such goodies and I am happy to share a culture of kefir if you like.

If you'd like it, we built them a large enclosure which is on lawnmower wheels. 4'x8' with a roomy hutch and such. I'm not sure how you would get that home, but if you have a way, it's yours!

We have their brooder in the garage as well. We found that is too small for adults, but perfect for chicks and we raised several batches of birds with it. I also have our homemade incubator too.

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Re: Japanese Quail flock (plus optional enclosures)

Post by Jaye » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:48 pm

Oooh, lovely!
We spoil ours too.
Where are you located?
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Purl
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Purl » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:02 pm

We are in Kitchener. Can meet partway too or deliver if within an hour or two, but we have a compact car, so no way to bring the big enclosure.

SusanH
Starting to Crow

Post by SusanH » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:16 pm

Phew! Good thing you're too far away or I'd sure be tempted. They look beautiful. Good luck with your move.

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:34 pm

Really quite a distance for me too @SusanH ... and I'm still tempted. :love smiley:
Much as I'd like them, the timing isn't right for us at the moment: we don't have the setup to accommodate 18 more right now, especially come winter, and no time to build another enclosure before then. :sighke1:
Will still be talking it over with hubs tonight though. :xfingers:
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Purl
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Purl » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:06 pm

And a lovely sounding home has been found!

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:37 pm

I'm glad they will be going to a good home. Sucks for us :sighke1: , but great for them. :-)

SusanH
Starting to Crow

Post by SusanH » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:06 am

That's good news.
Btw where do you find kefir grains? I let mine die and can't seem to find any anywhere.

Purl
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Purl » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:57 am

I got mine from a friend, but they sell packaged starters at our local hippie health food store and online I know the New England Cheese Company has them too. I would try the health food stores first, you will find them in the fridge case.

goatgal35
Starting to Crow

Post by goatgal35 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:25 am

We'll the Quail are settled very nice. They are under the mulberry tree in the front yard and laying up a storm. The Grandsons had "baby" eggs for breakfast. Thank you Purl, for some truly lovly little birds. As always it was worth the drive just to meet a fellow PTOer.

Return to “For Sale”