Fishing At The Farm? Wild or Farmed.

JP*
On the Roost

Post by JP* » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:15 pm

On a side note - I contacted the ministry trying to get a commercial fishing license for in-shore Ontario.
The only commercial fishing industry allowed is in the Great lakes and the southern portion of the Ottawa River.

I was hoping to be a commercial outfit that could supply a sustainable amount of local fish to the Ottawa and Area Restaurants. In my view it seems feasible and sustainable. I thought it would be a great career.

Limit the licences given, enforce slot sizes, catch limits, season, fishing methods and the such. There really is a small business opportunity here that the Province is holding back. Imagine going into an Ottawa Restaurant and ordering fresh caught pickeral, catfish, pike etc. Supporting local economy, 100mile diet etc.

SandyM

Post by SandyM » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:09 pm

JP* wrote:QR_BBPOST I watched a video, by Vice - I think, on YouTube. It showed someone in Mexico farming fish in very large steel enclosures in deep water. Large enough that the fish could swim as a school and avoid making each other sick from parasites. These enclosures were effectively becoming off-shore habitats as other creatures began colonizing them like a shipwreck would be colonized. Little fish, crabs, plants etc.

It seemed like a better option that the plastic bag fish farms in shallow water with little movement.
Still has the factory farming mentality. Confinement. Lacking natural habits such as, Feeding themselves, migration (if applicable) reproduction, hunt, prey etc.
Or we could just not eat so much fish and be sustainable and responsible consumers.

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:47 pm

Im thinking back to the dieticians. The input that we should eat fish thre times a week in a balanced diet. SMH here. In N. America there are 400 million people. Where in the name of all that's holy are there enough fish to fulfil that suggestion? And what about the other 6-1/2 BILLION souls on the planet?..like really!!...the wild world cannot and should not be utilized in any manner on a commecial scale. It is un sustainable and finally IMO, unethical when faced with such blatant in your face information. In the meantime, if you're going to farm fish, at least feed them something that fish eat, not corn and soy and animal byproduct from mega farms...Rant done..
Last edited by TomK on Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

SandyM

Post by SandyM » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:18 pm

Well ranted!

P.s.--> could be wrong but I don't think that's a current recommendation. They know the contaminants in fish so I think it's been reduced dramatically. I could be wrong. Doubt it, but it has happened before.

JimW
Head Chicken
Answers: 2

Post by JimW » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:49 pm

Most recommendations for fish consumption I have read state maximum of 8 meals a month, this is due to contaminant levels, not nutrition. Recommendation is less for children. At my place we average 4 to 5 meals a month, mainly fish caught from the Great Lakes. So far I don't glow in the dark and no extra body parts growing yet.

JimW
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Post by thegawd » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:01 pm

Exactly Jim and each species of fish, the size of it and where its caught contains different amounts of contaminants.

I almost always throw the big spawners back, they are the future, not the young ones. if you follow the rules and limits fishing in Ontario is sustainable.

the guide to eating Ontario's fish is free and available anywhere tackle is sold.

I cant wait to go fishing!
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Return to “Misc Educational Resources and Topics”