The Final Day *GRAPHIC SUBJECT MATTER*

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:02 pm

Killerbunny wrote:QR_BBPOST Island City Animal Hospital Brockville. Very respectful.
Thanks, KB. I think that Brockville is probably too far from us for a home visit, though.
Ontario Chick wrote:QR_BBPOST
Jaye wrote:QR_BBPOST Who's your vet, KB? I am pretty sure that ours doesn't do house calls, but would prefer it if we could find someone who would.
I have had a very good experience with vet coming to our place, would never do it any other way now, sice gun is not an option here.
There is a mobile vet in Ottawa, who specializes in animal euthanasia at home. I am sure there is more of them, this one is very nice http://www.hospicevet.com/
Thanks so much, OC, will definitely follow up.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Silkie Sue
On the Roost

Post by Silkie Sue » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:27 pm

Thankyou all for your maturity and candidness on this subject.
I am now well informed and am confident that when the need arises I will be capable to do what needs to be done, and i hope this has also helped those who are of the same mind but were afraid to ask... Bless you all and now i wish there was an easy way to deal with the emotional part which will have to come after.

Poultryprincess
Chatty Hen

Post by Poultryprincess » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:34 pm

Our vet came to the house.
Our German Shepherd "Bear" was 135lbs & herniated disk, so no way to get him to the vet.
It was fast & vet charged us $75 for the home visit.

Because we lived on a farm we were allowed to bury him here
( planted a tree over him & the other dogs & critters who died here )
Vet said within city limits it is not allowed.
:PTO: My NEW Life Motto for 2020 "DREAM BIG ~ SET GOALS ~ TAKE ACTION" :PTO:

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:30 pm

I think this is a very important conversation to have, for anybody with livestock or pets.

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:57 pm

It is a VERY important conversation to have..although painful and often heartbreaking...but what it emphasises, and this is a point not many people care to take the time to give much considerstion to, is that we humans are not the only sentient animals...every animal feels pain, emotions, loss..hell, they just FEEL in their own set of sensual inputs, sometime much like ourselves, sometimes with a totally different toolset..to dispatch an animal slowly is cruel.. to do so knowingly is cold, heartless and completely beneath us
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:57 pm

Its one thing to know how but another to know when because of animal suffering & quality of life to do the deed .No it's not an easy choice for most . Luck
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

G Williams
On the Roost

Post by G Williams » Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:46 pm

Farrier1987 wrote:QR_BBPOST One other comment. Body disposal. If the vet puts them down, you cannot dispose of the body in the bush because of the poisons used. It is a quirk of mine, but I like the recycle aspects of the buzzards and coons and worms etc doing the recycle thing. Makes me think my friend is still with us in another form. The circle of life is still going around/
I'm not sure that leaving a carcass for wildlife to dispose of is legal In Ontario. I usually dig a hole bury the remains and plant a tree over it to recycle the nutrients.

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:46 pm

Hmmm...GW has a point. An animal (especially a predator high on the food chain) accumulates toxins in a life time, these toxins accumulate in certain organs (liver, etc.) that are first on the menu of a carrion eater.

Pet animals (especially dogs, cats, and horses) are commonly given medications and immunity shots many of which do not leave the body. Thus horse meat (from "pet" horses) should not be eaten by people because of lingering amounts of these meds.
Gov't agencies are also concerned with the spread of diseases so its easier to make a blanket rule saying all animals must be buried than ask people to use their judgement or common sense (which many folks don't have).
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:21 pm

Hmmm...just rereading all the threads. Ross says he uses a .22 long rifle hollow point; G Williams says to use a .22 hollow point; Farrier1987 says NOT to use a hollow point as it may make a mess with the potential for eyes bulging out on a small animal like a cat. I agree with Farrier on the use of a hollow point on a small animal. I have used .22 LR and I've used hollow and solid points for hunting and I can't recall which I've used to put a pet down as its so infrequent. I have got a few feral cats in live traps and the issue is getting a clean shot on an animal thats moving. For those who don't know, hollow points are effective for hunting as an animal hit with a solid point may run away (in fact the bullet might pass right through an animal). A hollow point will change shape on impact into the shape of a mushroom creating a shock and massive internal damage resulting in a quicker death on a body shot...small hole in...big hole out.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:28 pm

GW has a point about maybe not being legal. I didn't ask and I am not going to. An animal that is not full of recent medication, though they were probably vaccinated at some time goes out into a 20 acre bush. Out of sight of road, fairly far from any habitation, not sloping into runoff waterway. Once a year or two, different exact spot each time, not a regular bone yard like would be necessary with a larger commercial operation. I will do that, and not ask what the law is. Yeah, I am probably breaking the laws of Ontario, but I will probably continue to do so as required and not ask the authorities first.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Return to “Misc Educational Resources and Topics”