The Final Day *GRAPHIC SUBJECT MATTER*

Silkie Sue
On the Roost

Post by Silkie Sue » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:06 pm

We've all been there and we will all be there again...... the final day of a beloved companion pet
My experiences with having the vet come or taking the animal to the clinic to be euthanized has been very traumatic each time, the " they just go to sleep " myth is not instant. Now, the bullet method, and i have not had to do it myself ( except for a couple birds)but I've seen it done, is split second quick and there is no suffering from it to the animal. I have seen it both ways and i am convinced that when the time comes i should be able to end it for animal quickly.
Question time: Is it better in the head or the heart ( providing you know where that is exactly)
if the answer is the head; will a 22 make the eyes pop out? ( I couldn't bear that)

WaupoosCowgirl
Starting to Crow
Answers: 1

Post by WaupoosCowgirl » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:17 pm

We shot our setter and a great dane, the dane was done with a 22 instantly dead, the setter was done with an 18 gauge shot gun with a slug andagain instant and no major mess either time. Hugs :(

Silkie Sue
On the Roost

Post by Silkie Sue » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:19 pm

WaupoosCowgirl wrote:QR_BBPOST We shot our setter and a great dane, the dane was done with a 22 instantly dead, the setter was done with an 18 gauge shot gun with a slug andagain instant and no major mess either time. Hugs :(
Sorry for your losses.... was it in the head?
do you think the 22 was better or the shotgun as far as effectiveness?

WaupoosCowgirl
Starting to Crow
Answers: 1

Post by WaupoosCowgirl » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:27 pm

Silkie Sue wrote:QR_BBPOST
WaupoosCowgirl wrote:QR_BBPOST We shot our setter and a great dane, the dane was done with a 22 instantly dead, the setter was done with an 18 gauge shot gun with a slug andagain instant and no major mess either time. Hugs :(
Sorry for your losses.... was it in the head?
do you think the 22 was better or the shotgun as far as effectiveness?
Yes in the head, both were equal in their effectiveness. Sadly with anything the nerves will do what they will, but I too have gone both ways the vet and the bullet and find the vet to be the more stressful of the two.

Silkie Sue
On the Roost

Post by Silkie Sue » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:40 pm

I have started this thread not to upset anyone or start a PETA war... Euthanizing your own animals is a personal and very serious decision but in my opinion, it is the correct decision in most cases.. providing it is carried out correctly. Any information or questions posted here should be for the benefit of the animal or the person having to do the deed. No need to sugarcoat techniques or questions.
I personally am not yet at the final day for any of my pets but i would like to be prepared.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:41 pm

Sue , I've done everything from chickens to horses & inbetween including my dogs . I've always used .22 long rifle hollow point . On large animals pigs , goats ,horses etc I stand up close & make an imaginary line from right ear to left eye & visa versa & shoot where lines cross . Instant death . On dogs , rabbits & other similar types I stand beside & place rifle barrel 2" from top of head between ears . They drop instantly . No mess no eyes bulging . Never had reason to use shotgun . Hope helps . Heart shots to me are not instant . Just the way I have done for 60 yrs . Even hunting with rifle I use head shot on coyote & rabbit just behind ear . If animal your putting down is fairly imobile put a cover over head so not looking at . Luck
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:42 pm

Oh no, I am so sorry you have to go through this, Sue. Sending hugs your way.
I can't offer any advice because I have zero experience with either bullet or vet solution.
Last edited by Jaye on Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Silkie Sue
On the Roost

Post by Silkie Sue » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:44 pm

Thankyou Ross, That is very helpful

Silkie Sue
On the Roost

Post by Silkie Sue » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:45 pm

Jaye wrote:QR_BBPOST Oh no, I am so sorry you have to go through this, Sue. Sending hugs your way.
I can't offer any advice because I have zero experience with either bullet or vet solution.
I love you Jaye.... but this is an informational post, you silly

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:50 pm

:oops: Oops, my apologies.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Return to “Misc Educational Resources and Topics”