The Final Day *GRAPHIC SUBJECT MATTER*

Poultryprincess
Chatty Hen

Post by Poultryprincess » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:38 pm

Our vet said "in" city limits is Mir allowed
We buried 3 dogs, a cat & countless chickens, ducks etc.
The dogs were buried about 4 ft down, a "Evergreen" tree planted over dog. We have a Different species of evergreen planted for each dog.
At Xmas there is decorations on each tree.

Never had Any of the critters dug up by animals.
:PTO: My NEW Life Motto for 2020 "DREAM BIG ~ SET GOALS ~ TAKE ACTION" :PTO:

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:20 pm

We do the Send off by burning although it can be tricky to do right. Special animals get a scented rose.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:20 am

Well i know with hunting the mnr requests the bits unused to be left in the bush for predation....of course thats hunting and not a pet companion animal...
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

G Williams
On the Roost

Post by G Williams » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:59 pm

Years ago my Dad's cousin was charged with improper disposal of dead livestock for throwing 3 dead pigs into the bush along a deserted piece of road. Farmers used to routinely dispose of small dead stock in the manure pile; also not legal.

Featherduster
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Featherduster » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:09 pm

I have had many of my animals put to sleep by a vet, mostly dogs. Pretty much all went well, very smooth and " just went to sleep" up to the last one I had done and she wasn't mentally ready to go but physically her body had shut down. She was sedated to start and then when the euthenal was injected she fought it. Whether it burned when it went in or what I don't know but THAT made it almost impossible for me to handle. She was one of my top show dogs in her prime and my Best In Show girl. I still believe in a vets method only because I have not experienced seeing anyone shoot an animal and only because I have only experienced this panic once. I still prefer when they just shut their eyes, let out one gasp and go to sleep on their own. Thoughts are with you when you have to make this decision. Its not an easy one.

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:25 pm

I had always taken my animals to the vet when their time had come and I did have a similar experience to Featherduster with a cat that reacted to "the needle" and had to be restrained and pinned down during what was supposed to be the peacefully going to sleep time. That stayed with me for quite a while. My last cat that had to be put down was almost 18 years old and had lived with me since her mom showed up with her in my yard...tiny little thing barely walking yet.
She was suddenly in very intense pain to the point she bit right through my finger when I tried to pick her up. I couldn't stand the thought of her being in that agony while I drove her to an emergency vet. Hubby's son shot her to get it done quickly. Honestly in that situation I had no choice but would consider avoiding the vet in future for the sake of the animal. The less stress for them the better.

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:57 pm

I think that most people view death by gunshot as violent, messy, loud, frightening. It is none of those things, especially for the animal involved, which is the important thing.

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:12 pm

G Williams wrote:QR_BBPOST Years ago my Dad's cousin was charged with improper disposal of dead livestock for throwing 3 dead pigs into the bush along a deserted piece of road. Farmers used to routinely dispose of small dead stock in the manure pile; also not legal.
That's too bad, considering those pigs and small dead stock are organic and food for other animals, not like old washing machines,windows, shoes and other such trash... like coffee cups, fast food containers, and filled green garbage bags.

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:07 pm

When I had to put my horse down the vet told me I could compost it on the manure pile, I said no. Not a fan of that, I guess I would prefer not to know what is happening.

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:12 pm

kenya wrote:QR_BBPOST When I had to put my horse down the vet told me I could compost it on the manure pile, I said no. Not a fan of that, I guess I would prefer not to know what is happening.
If done wrong, it will rot and stink to high heaven.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Return to “Misc Educational Resources and Topics”