Insurance for farmers markets?

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Mon May 30, 2016 2:24 am

There is a farmers market starting up near where I live. I'd like to get in on this gig, but am a virgin newb, never even having BEEN to a farmers market before, never mind selling stuff at one. Anyway, the organizers require that vendors have 2,000,000 liability (I think) insurance. I have fairly recently fired my regular broker, and switched companies for both automobile and house insurance to get (MUCH) better rates and customer service even though the two are with separate companies. I have no idea where to go for insurance for an outside enterprise like farmers markets, what would it even be called? Anyone have recommendations on a company to look up? Ideas on rates? I don't want to use brokers again if I can help it, and I certainly don't want to be lining the pockets of some d***heads that will go out of their way to deny claims should my fertile hatching eggs ever poison someone, or something *ROLLS EYES*. Suggestions? Ideas?

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Mon May 30, 2016 5:11 am

wouldn't that be covered under a blanket "farmers" insurance policy? i.e. if a cow gets loose and gets hit by a car
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Maximus

Post by Maximus » Mon May 30, 2016 8:55 am

Our farmers market offers a daily, monthly and I think seasonal rate for insurance. Maybe check and see if they have that? I think they quoted me just under $7/day.
If you get your own, it has to have their stipulations in it.
I'm wondering if you can add to your home insurance?

For personal policies and our corporate/business, heavy equipment and auto insurance policies we use a broker but all our policies are with Intact Insurance. I recommend them to everyone and have saved people hundreds of dollars a month, especially on new drivers insurance policies. On our business policies we are saving thousands a year.
Duliban is our broker. Adam Duliban is our contact.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Mon May 30, 2016 11:12 am

My broker started freaking out over my insurance (with Intact). Every few years they do a check on the house I guess to see it's maintained etc. She just about freaked out over not just the backyard chickens but my vegetable garden. She said they'd prefer manicured lawns to the liability of a veg garden and said I was running a farm. I tried to explain the difference to her but took a call to her supervisor LOL!!!!!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Maximus

Post by Maximus » Mon May 30, 2016 12:02 pm

Some people are ummm, how shall we say nicely ... more challenging?

Intact has been amazing with me. Especially the house insurance. No hydrants and only water trucks if house catches on fire. I was paying $310/monthly for house insurance from TD bank and when I got a notice of increase to $385/month it was find cheaper insurance or burn the f'er to the ground. I was livid!
Intact assessed the distance for access to water, how many water trucks and my house insurance is now $142/month. Huge savings.

Roof needed to get done when we bought the house. Original roof and house was 21 yrs old when I bought it. Intact gave a 72 month window for replacement after first year of being ripped off with TD. Intact considers my dogs a discount for security (but I have to have signs posted about dogs), not a liability. TD considered them a liability.

Our business insurance has a savings of over $4500 a year. That's HUGE! We were with Co-operators previously.

Personally, I think I need a sign for my rooster. He wouldn't let the UPS driver out of truck on Friday till I got out there and shooed him away LOL. UPS dude was like, ya I know all about roosters, I'm not messing with this one LOL.

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Mon May 30, 2016 4:53 pm

Yep, insurance companies would rather insure a row house made of glue than an old house made of real wood. Intact is a big player in Fort McMurray, hopefully they sold the risk to a reinsurer (Swiss RE, or Warren Buffets Berlshire Hathaway) so that rates don't rise from the recent fire.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Tue May 31, 2016 8:36 am

maybe a small business insurance policy with liability coverage? i've never met a company that wasn't willing to sell a policy to me LOL (of course, some were just stupid expensive!). i think we are through aviva now...and have small business liability for my hubby's businesses as well as a farm policy, house policy, and cars....been pretty happy with them. but we use a broker to sort through all the small print and find us equivalent policies and price match every year. Yeah, it's funny about the insurance, our last insurance company (we were with them for a few years) freaked when we got the horses-had to tell them how much and who would ride and if we'd have riding lessons and etc etc etc. finally ended up telling them they're PETS and NO we aren't a boarding stable, and NO we aren't renting them out for trail rides, and NO they aren't going on the road and NO i really doubt someone will shoot them in hunting season but yes, one is brown, but really it does not look like a deer, even from far far away....LOL. they even asked if they had shoes, because apparently a kick from a shod horse costs more than one from an unshod horse, so the premiums are higher if they have shoes!?! Okay...if one of my guys kicked someone and meant it, it wouldn't matter if they had shoes or not, you'd be dead either way! but they also threatened to drop us after we were hit by lightning...because we didn't show enough proof of trying to prevent being hit by lightning...um....with lightning rods, and grounding cables and a whole home surge protector, um.....what? should we move?? um....and to top it off they couldn't even tell us what we could do to satisfy that requirement LOL. so we moved to aviva...they've been pretty good...
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Maximus

Post by Maximus » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:02 am

Where did you get with this Jan?

I was hoping to get into farmers markets this spring, but looks like fall or next spring for me. Tooooo busy and inventory is all gone, so I need to work on replenishing.

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:08 pm

I found out that IF a market is with Farmers Markets of Ontario, that group has a blanket insurance usually included in your space rental fee. The market I was looking into is a start-up, not with FMO, and requires a vendor to purchase their own insurance. Their rental fees are on par with other markets but no liability insurance so I would end of paying double what it would cost to set up just about anywhere else. The Co-operators was the only company I found in this area that offers it, cost is about 200 for 6 months (if I recall correctly) , is fairly comprehensive and can be tailored to individual needs. Prepared food products require additional coverage and Health Unit approval.
I decided it was not worth my Saturday mornings at this time, I'll revisit later in the summer.

Maximus

Post by Maximus » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:41 pm

Thanks for that info.

Return to “Misc Educational Resources and Topics”