The Dirty Hippie & Goats Milk

SandyM

Post by SandyM » Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:26 pm

For those who don't know, likely the majority, I don't use hair shampoo. I use a cleaner, soap free that I make myself. Water, baking soda, oatmeal, Phytokeratin and essential oils. I'm told I don't smell like a dirty hippie, but who knows if I'm being fibbed too Or not :)

This is also true for my 'body soap/wash'. I don't use soaps, I use the above recipe with a few alterations: removal of phytokeratin and I add vitamin E. This time of year I add cinnamon bark essential oil, nutmeg powder, ground cloves for exfoliation and just because it just smells so darn good and has a warming sensation.

I have (controlled) T2D's and dry skin is a constant battle. I'm forever applying oils and EO's to my skin. I was in a natural store yesterday and the sales person asked if she could help. I said I was just looking for something moisturizing for the shower. She suggested goats milk soap but it all has lye and soaping agents etc.

So. My question for all the goat milk users, in all forms: What is in goats milk that is good for the skin? Or is it just a 'trendy' thing to market? Can I buy goats milk (does it need to be raw) and add to my body wash? How long will it last out of the fridge? I can also keep the body wash refrigerated until use that day if need be. Just wondering if it is a beneficial addition to my current recipe.

No I don't have dreadlocks. Yet.

Bobbi
On the Roost

Post by Bobbi » Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:43 pm

Lye is inactivated and safe once cured properly. You can make OR buy soap that is safe to use without anything added.

My kids drink goats milk, i use the soap also.
:broodyhen:

Bobbi
On the Roost

Post by Bobbi » Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:44 pm

Add honey.
:broodyhen:

SandyM

Post by SandyM » Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:55 pm

Yup. Saphonation? I think it's called. There definitely are some soaps available with lesser dermatological and environmental impacts but I'm not wanting to buy overly priced soaps or use any soap related products on my skin. I'm not looking for an alternative so to speak, just wondering if goats milk has potential to be a beneficial addition to my current recipe :)

Honey? Ya? Hmm, off to google I go!

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:43 pm

Goats milk has a different fat structure than cow's milk, the globules are smaller and don't clump, basically. They like to stick to skin, but not to each other. I don't believe that it will give any benefit over the oils you already use, coconut oil is wonderful for skin, and I agree with Bobbi to look into honey. Raw goats milk won't last long IN the refrigerator, never mind out of it, shelf life is the reason for pasteurization. My goats milk in the fridge starts to have an off taste after 24 hours or so, luckily it rarely lasts that long, and goes to the pigs if it does.

SandyM

Post by SandyM » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:51 pm

I use coconut oil daily (every night) and even put in my hair for overnight at least once a week :)

Thanks for info on goats milk. Seeing as I don't have a goat or plan on any (WLLady scared me) it's not really a viable option unless I use pasteurized.

WaupoosCowgirl
Starting to Crow
Answers: 1

Post by WaupoosCowgirl » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:24 pm

Saponification

SandyM

Post by SandyM » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:24 pm

WaupoosCowgirl wrote:QR_BBPOST Saponification
I was close :)

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:31 pm

I like dirty hippies.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:59 pm

:focus: I like hippies...dirty hippies not so much....
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Return to “Misc Educational Resources and Topics”