Some pics of my Icelandics, ~New pics added~

Forum rules
As per Ferrier1987: You are supposed to post pictures when you post about your baby goats. Its a rule here. I just made it up as a rule, but its now part of the forum rules I have decided.
Blue Heron Farm
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Blue Heron Farm » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:53 am

Also their wool will be for sale after searing. We will probably shear them in about 3 weeks depending on weather. It will be sold raw straight off the sheep.
AKA Hackmatack Ridge Farm

Bayvistafarm
Chatty Hen

Post by Bayvistafarm » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:05 am

beautiful.

NormaK
On the Roost

Post by NormaK » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:11 am

Are there any difficulties in finding a market for the wool?
I know very little about sheep but find it very interesting. They have to be one of the most attractive breeds that I've seen so far :).
Norma :iheartpto:

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:24 pm

I used to trade Icelanic fleece from a neighbour for my East Friesian fleece so we could each have different wool to spin and work with.

The Icelandic wool is different in that it has a soft undercoat and a course long outer coat rather than the English or Fine wool breeds that have a uniform soft wool. Thus, the Icelandic fleece is very good for more coarse or rugged clothing that is soft but tough and almost waterproof if felted. The best and warmest mittens I've made are out of Icelandic fleece! It's no surprise the Icelanders would have these tough wonderful sheep! Plus they milk fairly well too.

It felts very easily and I found I had to be very careful washing it not to let it felt.

I really liked working with it, a nice change from other fleece. It works well spun loosely into a single ply yarn. The mittens I made I didn't felt after knitting but the palms quickly felted into a really nice durable knit with use.
Former dairy shepherd and owner of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd pup.

Blue Heron Farm
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Blue Heron Farm » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:08 pm

NormaK: Since I only have a few of them and I have only had them for 2 years I have just been selling the fleeces on kijiji. Ive had good luck that way.

Brebis: Thanks for all that great information. As I said I'm fairly new to this breed so a lot of what you said I didn't know. Thanks.

I used to have only Shetlands when I lived in Nova Scotia and loved them. Then when I got a farm in Ontario I decided to try Icelandics because they are so similar to Shetlands. Well I loved them even more. I find them to be friendlier and there wool is longer and higher quality. They are also a bit larger than Shetlands.
AKA Hackmatack Ridge Farm

Return to “Goats and Sheep and Other Small Hooved Critters”