Sheep milk

Forum rules
As per Ferrier1987: You are supposed to post pictures when you post about your baby goats. Its a rule here. I just made it up as a rule, but its now part of the forum rules I have decided.
Brebis
Chatty Hen

Sheep milk

Post by Brebis » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:26 pm

TomK wrote:QR_BBPOST I don't have burdock...kinda lucky in that the meadows haven't gone that wild yet...whew!
That is lucky! They're a real pain when you have a lot of sheep and pasture fields scattered with it....
Retired dairy shepherd and cheesemaker and former keeper of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd who keeps me fit and on my toes!

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Sheep milk

Post by Brebis » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:44 pm

I also forgot to mention that if you make cheese, you can feed the whey back to the ewes and a bit to the poultry too. Once they get a taste for it they love it and its good for them. Good way of dealing with the whey.
Retired dairy shepherd and cheesemaker and former keeper of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd who keeps me fit and on my toes!

WaupoosCowgirl
Starting to Crow
Answers: 1

Sheep milk

Post by WaupoosCowgirl » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:19 am

I absolutely love ewes milk butter, sooo smooth and silky! hmmm might be time for a trio of sheep...sheeps milk soap? Can you do that?

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Sheep milk

Post by Brebis » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:28 am

It makes really nice soap because of the higher fat content.
I haven't made much butter from it but would skim the lactic cheese before it was ladled of the cultured cream on top and male that into butter, mmmmmm!

Return to “Goats and Sheep and Other Small Hooved Critters”