Weak electric fence

Forum rules
As per Ferrier1987: You are supposed to post pictures when you post about your baby goats. Its a rule here. I just made it up as a rule, but its now part of the forum rules I have decided.
Blizblaz
On the Roost

Weak electric fence

Post by Blizblaz » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:21 pm

Ok, so I guess this is about large hooved critters, but I have a problem with my electric fence being weak. I’m thinking it has something to do with the winter, since it was fine before the ground froze. I’ve touched it myself and all I get is a slight buzz-definitely nothing to worry my horses.
Does anyone know if the snow/ice could be making it weak, or have any ideas on what I can do to give a bigger shock?
I’m using 3 strands of poly wire, but I’ve unhooked the bottom wire from the power, since the snow is creeping up.

labradors
Head Chicken

Re: Weak electric fence

Post by labradors » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:39 pm

Hubby says to check that all the insulators are working. The poles should be insulated from the ground. As long as it isn't being shorted it should work just as well in winter as it does in summer. Maybe there's a small ground somewhere.... If you had a meter, you could check it.
Last edited by labradors on Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:43 pm

Yes I agree, it sounds like its shorting out somewhere. Occassionally I have to go around and check all the fencing and I usually find weeds leaning up against it or its gotten off one of the insulators.

Blizblaz
On the Roost

Post by Blizblaz » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:01 pm

I’ll have to check again. I know the bottom line is touching the snow in places, so I took the power off of that one. I have tried the tester, but I was having trouble getting the rod in the ground very far, so I thought that may have been the problem...it has been reading fine when I can get it to work.
Normally the horses respect it to see it, but one of them has taken a real exception to a mini in a fenced off area beside her field, and is pushing at the fence.

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:14 pm

How deep is your ground rod in? Some times in winter it doesn't make good contact. Shoule be at least a foot deep, and maybe pour osme water around it.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Return to “Goats and Sheep and Other Small Hooved Critters”