Goat market 2018

Forum rules
As per Ferrier1987: You are supposed to post pictures when you post about your baby goats. Its a rule here. I just made it up as a rule, but its now part of the forum rules I have decided.
Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Goat market 2018

Post by Farrier1987 » Mon May 14, 2018 2:32 pm

Near as I can tell the market is down for goats this year.

I see a dairy farmer near me selling 2-3 mo old doelings for 125, take ten and its 100 ea. He tells me that some does w kids at side are going for slaughter prices at the auction mart in Aylmer.

I had three girls and two boys for baby goats this year. I have been pretty lucky selling my boys for pets, both sold, still here but with deposit paid, sold for 150. I advertise them pretty much soon as they are born, and I think the cuteness factor helps even though they cant take them home right away.

I sold a doe in milk, very gentle and placid for 500, and think I did well. last year I got 500 just for a similar doe.I will have to cut down my herd from 7 to 4 by fall. Two girls going to go, haven't picked which ones yet. Might be selling bred, haven't figured it out yet. I have a buckling I bought from a dairy farmer for breeding this fall, will be trying to sell him later when his work is done. Very nicely marked and good dairy lines.

I can't butcher my own, just too much of a softie, not to mention wanting to stay married. I did some dealing on goats last fall, butchered one that ended up being free as I sold the others at a profit. Two year old buck. It is very good meat, even though this one is slightly chewy depending on how it is cooked. Texture and taste a lot like venison, not the same as, but close.

Anyone else know about goat/sheep/beef markets in your area? Auctions, private sales, this year compared to last year, butchering for your own etc?
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Re: Goat market 2018

Post by windwalkingwolf » Mon May 14, 2018 4:04 pm

There is a steady demand for goat meat among non-North American communities and cultures, indeed, exports of goat meat to the U.S. is huge and growing... but here in Canada the communities and cultures that want goat meat also want them dirt cheap...slaughter auction prices or better, which doesn't cut the mustard if you're paying for feed for breeders in their prime. However, if you can't slaughter yourself, it's a reasonable option for private sale of elderly bucks or infirm animals you couldn't sell otherwise, just keep in mind that it's generally a niche market that expects you as the seller to practically give them away. Once slaughtered and butchered, it's an even harder sell as about half the market is middle eastern Muslim or Jewish, which have strict rules on the slaughter and processing of their meat.
I'm really surprised to hear that the market is down in your area!!! I recently sold 3, January mutt doe kids for $700, and had people lining up to take them if it fell through. As a matter of fact, I had one guy phone and say he would pay double, and when I insisted they were spoken for, begged me for the contact details. I didn't give them, I really don't think there is any sort of goat shortage lol, just a shortage of goat owners that are ok with them becoming spareribs. Compare that with last year, when I had to practically give my extra kids away for 300 for the two at 8 months old, and the year before when I DID give them away for less than $100 each.
I originally started breeding goats with meat for my own freezer in mind, but in my case, time constraints have meant that that has only happened once, and budget constraints make it too expensive to have butchering done professionally...but I'd be surprised if that continued to be the case in the future.

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by Farrier1987 » Mon May 14, 2018 4:44 pm

Meant to say that doe in milk this year and her 2 mo old doeling.

Yes the middle eastern buyers, but they want to kill here and I wont let them. I will sell for butcher, but not here. Another neighbor sold three doelings and a doe in milk for 800.

I liked your comment about not enough goat owners.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Mon May 14, 2018 4:55 pm

Goat meat is delish. I find I like lamb but stronger and less fatty. Jan we'll talk next time you butcher!
Chinese company setting up in Kingston to process got milk for infant formula and supposedly taking milk from local farmers. Not sure on progress or details.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Mon May 14, 2018 7:33 pm

Goats and rabbits are next on our list of animals to get on our little farm.

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by Farrier1987 » Sat May 19, 2018 7:31 pm

Sold my last doeling today. A month old, but they wont pick up till in July at weaning time. $200 for her, 100 now and 100 on pickup.

So by fall I will have three does to breed. My old Priya (Realy got my goat post) her doeling Cleo and Dulcinaya will be a second timer. I will also have Flash, they young billy I got who should be the daddy of some next spring, and depending on the deal, when, where, he will be sold after his job is done around here. I have a good lead for him too.

Things are evening out as they should. Two boys gone for pets, two doelings gone for breeding and Cleo I am keeping back.

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by Farrier1987 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:23 am

Mid August update. The goat market has dropped some London to Windsor. I see some very low priced goats on kijiji and they are staying there for quite a while. At this time I have five girls and a little billy and have to cut down, my one acre is too full. Posted on Kijiji Chatham. My listed prices are not silly but on the higher side of reasonable to see what interest I get. I am not selling them all, but listed them all so someone that is interested can choose. At auction, kids are selling from 80 to 100 a head, young does 150 to 200, and old does about 120.

Anyone can update me on eastern Ontario market I would like to know.

My ad text:
I have three doelings and two does in milk. All friendly gentle hobby farm raised. I don't want to sell them all, but I have to cut down, so there is a selection. All are vaccinated, no horns, used to little kids, dogs, horses, chickens and broke to the milk stand. All from excellent dairy lines.

Doe #1 Yearling 3/4 Lamancha, 1/4 Alpine, fawn coloured. Twins in April. Milking about a litre morning and evening. $325 Doeling #1 Lamancha Alpine, fawn coloured with dog in pic. 4 months old. Doe #1's kid. Ready to breed by Nov or so. $200
Doeling #2 The smaller shaded Alpine, from a dairy farm and bottle fed because I had too much milk. Very sweet natured. Still being bottle fed, but could be weaned any time. This one is a lot like a friendly dog, wants to be with you all the time. Snuck into the house once. About 3 mo old. Will breed later this season. $200
Doeling #3 Black and white. From my older milk goat (doe#2), January kid. Already used to the milk stand. Could be bred next time she cycles. Is going to be a heavy producer, nice long teats. 1/4 Nubian, 3/4 Alpine. $300
Doe #2, 4 or 5 yr old Alpine with some Togenburg, heavy producer, starting to dry up now, the boss of the bunch. I have milked several thousand litres from her over the years. $300

Return to “Goats and Sheep and Other Small Hooved Critters”