They really got my goat!

Forum rules
As per Ferrier1987: You are supposed to post pictures when you post about your baby goats. Its a rule here. I just made it up as a rule, but its now part of the forum rules I have decided.
Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Re: They really got my goat!

Post by Farrier1987 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:20 am

So the lady that got Priya phoned last week. Her husband had died in December. Priya and he were very good to each other, and he had a goat til he died. I am pleased that an old man had something that gave him pleasure in his last days, and that I was part of that.

Priy had just had a baby, a doeling, and the lady wanted advice on stuff, and I told her what I could. Then yesterday afternoon, she phoned and was almost frantic. Had problems, Priya has mastitis and the baby was having to be bottle fed and what could she do? So my wonderful wife and I loaded up the goat box and drove to Windsor and brought Priya and her baby home. And the lady seemed like I had taken a bog load off her shoulders.

Washed a bunch of crusted gore off her, and milked her out much as I could. She is milking some, a few chunks in it, and the upper part of the bag is hard hard hard, and the orifice is partly blocked so I have to really squeeze to get a tiny stream of milk. Doesnt look like she has drunk any (or not much) water over night. That is such a worry for a milking doe too.

I am off to the vet to get an antibiotic specific to mastitis and will try to get things back on track. So some medication and massaging the hard parts six or eight times a day should clear it up I hope. I am glad to have her home.

I am sure I will be updating with pictures and such in the next few days. The saga continues.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:50 pm

So good of you to go get her, hope she realizes what a gem she has in you.

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by Farrier1987 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:26 pm

kenya wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:50 pm
So good of you to go get her, hope she realizes what a gem she has in you.

You mean my wife? I am pretty sure she does, and I remind her some times too, just to be sure.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:32 pm

Ha! Ha! No I mean the goat, but I suppose I could add your wife to that list.

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by Farrier1987 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:14 pm

Quick update.

Priya is doing quite a bit better. Brighter acting. Second day on the antibiotic. Vet also gave me a one time injection of some sort of analgesic for the pain yesterday. Milked her this morning, a bit more than a little, pinkish, so some blood in it. Hard masses up above, and I massaged well as I could. The orifices are so tiny, hard to get a decent stream of milk. Vet says its scar tissue, but should resolve.

The baby is 3/4 Alpine and 1/4 Nubian. Shows the Nubian floppy ears. So a name. Nubia is southern Egypt, Cleopatra was Egyptian. So the baby is Cleopatra. Cleo. Because she has been bottle fed, she is not as attached to Priya as I would like. But Priya is a good mom and trying to get her attached. I put them out with the other two this morning hoping that might make them bond a little more.

Here is a pic of me holding Cleo and introducing her to Ranger.
Attachments
IMG_3117.JPG

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:39 pm

I'm glad Priya is home, and hope she's good as new in no time!
Cleo is adorable!

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:40 pm

Oh how precious!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:15 pm

Oh she is soooo cute!

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by Farrier1987 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:21 am

Friday update.

The antibiotic is working. Her bag is no longer rock hard, and the stream of milk is somewhat bigger without having to squeeze so hard. Cleo is drinking about 350 ml every four hours. Is patterned on people, doesn't know she's a goat. Will follow me in preference to her mother. Not the way I like it, but will make a nice gentle affectionate goat. Cleo is also nibbling at the hay, so things progressing rather well.

About the antibiotic. Its called Trimidox. I cut and pasted the following from the manufacturers website.

(Action) TRIMIDOX contains trimethoprim, a synthetic antibacterial and sulfadoxine, a sulphonamide. The two components of TRIMIDOX produce a sequential double blockade of bacterial metabolism, giving a level of activity many times greater than that obtained by either drug alone.

TRIMIDOX provides effective antibacterial activity against a wide range of infections caused by Gram-positive and Gram-negative bacteria.

I find it interesting, its not one thing, one drug, like a Penicillin, but a mix of two drugs, one doing one thing and the other doing something else. I kind of liken it to a house fire and a famine. Either one can hurt you bad, but put them both at the same time and you have a real problem surviving. I really think we have to thank our scientific research people for coming up with ways to treat stuff. I know, big pharma gets rich etc, but they do a lot of good too. Its up to us as the animal caregivers to not overuse, and to use thoughtfully. But in this case, I am sure glad its there.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:16 am

Very true. In the chemotherapy situation I got both a "chemo" drug and a targeted drug so that if one missed the other mopped up!
Glad Priya is doing better now poor girl.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Return to “Goats and Sheep and Other Small Hooved Critters”