Polled goat genetics question

Forum rules
As per Ferrier1987: You are supposed to post pictures when you post about your baby goats. Its a rule here. I just made it up as a rule, but its now part of the forum rules I have decided.
Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Polled goat genetics question

Post by Farrier1987 » Mon May 15, 2017 6:12 pm

Expert opinion and information wanted. (You know who you are.) The mother's line is all horned as far back as I know. The sire had horns. Twin boys now two weeks old. Dis budded one on Saturday. The second one had no horn buds showing or that I can feel, appears to be polled. Colouring is similar to their dad if that is useful info. No inbreeding mother side, don't know for the dad.

How might this have happened? Is he likely to pass it on? Is he maybe a mutant of some sort? Maybe has to do with using roundup on thee thistles last summer or some such? The phase of the moon when he was born or conceived? Please share your sure knowledge or educated guesses. I await your prognostications on the matter. Thanks.

They are named Tilt and Whirl, like the tiltawhirl at the fair, and that is Ranger with them, my Great Pyrenese and Lab cross 8 months old or so now. He is another genetic conundrum colour wise, but we will reserve that one for another day.
Attachments
Tilt and Whirl
Tilt and Whirl
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

muffin
On the Roost

Re: Polled goat genetics question

Post by muffin » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:40 pm

one parent must be polled to produce polled... likely the kid is just developing slowly, Nubian and nubianX kids are slower to develop horns, boer can be too. My La Mancha kids can be disbudded at day 1 usually, my Nubian 2-3 weeks, sometimes I disbud even if I dont feel the horns because I like to do them young.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:17 am

I agree with muffin.....he is likely slow in developing them.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:20 pm

Well I remembered badly. I phoned the guy that had the buck, and the daddy was polled. And at two months, the one is showing no sign of horns, so I am thinking polled. Traded him for b a LaMancha doeling, she wanted a buck with good dairy lines, and I think she got that.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Return to “Goats and Sheep and Other Small Hooved Critters”