Twicet as cuter goat babies

Forum rules
As per Ferrier1987: You are supposed to post pictures when you post about your baby goats. Its a rule here. I just made it up as a rule, but its now part of the forum rules I have decided.
Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Twicet as cuter goat babies

Post by Farrier1987 » Sat May 06, 2017 8:27 am

Our Sunny goat was acting spacey and the calendar said she was close, so I got her out of the goat house and put her in the barn. She had a funny limp as I led her in. Put her in the stall and went in to have coffee. Figured I would start chores right away and make sure she had hay and water then.

So I was in the house about 20 min, and went back to the barn. There was one tiny slimy thing already standing and getting licked, and another in the straw all covered with guck, snuffling and trying to clear its lungs. Sunny making that low chuckling noise as she licked and nudged number one back, and his head was bumping against her belly and on the toward the back. Sunny let no 1 do his thing as number two needed licking and attention and talking to.

Within another ten minutes both were up and licked and fussed over by Sunny, and she was eating that yucky stuff that had come with them. And they had had a first drink. And that low chuckle talking that only happens at birthing time.

How do the babies know to start searching right away? How does the mother know that she needs the protein and other stuff, the nutrition, and to hide the scent and a food source from predators? Nature and instinct is so incredible, no matter what you see as the latest example.

And Ranger, the 8 month old pup, was very interested too, but not very brave when Sunny was close by. The pic in the stall with the babies was while Sunny was in the milk stall for her first time.

All by herself, fair quick. I was pleased that as a first timer there were on complications and all is well. Sunny just two days shy of a year old, she was born on Kentucky Derby day last year. Only wish I might have had would be that one of them was a girl. Three boys, no girls this year. Oh well. Life is good.
Attachments
IMG_0818.JPG
IMG_0809.JPG
IMG_0796.JPG
IMG_0785.JPG
IMG_0779.JPG
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Re: Twicet as cuter goat babies

Post by ross » Sat May 06, 2017 8:35 am

Nice pics man . Nothin better than birth . Miss my goats .Goats milk on my breakfast cereal & berries , hard to beat . Prey & predator sniffing noses & getting along . Can be done . Thanks for sharing . Luck
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Sat May 06, 2017 9:16 am

Beautiful, Thanks for a nice picture to go with my morning coffee, what a great way to celebrate Kentucky Derby :)

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Sat May 06, 2017 11:15 am

Oh how cute!!!

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sat May 06, 2017 2:37 pm

Lovely robust looking kids!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Return to “Goats and Sheep and Other Small Hooved Critters”