Aggression or normal and to be expected?

Forum rules
As per Ferrier1987: You are supposed to post pictures when you post about your baby goats. Its a rule here. I just made it up as a rule, but its now part of the forum rules I have decided.
heatherwood
Newly Hatched Chick

Aggression or normal and to be expected?

Post by heatherwood » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:15 pm

Hi there! We are brand new to goat ownership and may have a problem. We've just adopted a 3 yo nubian female and a 5 MO nubian alpine cross male. The female came from a not so nice place where she was tethered all the time. She's sweet with people but HATES the dog, who is now terrified of her. He avoids her like the plague but she still stalks him and will butt him every chance she gets. Even if he is sitting across the lawn minding his own business.
She's also just started this silly behvaior-she wrestles with the male and it seems to be playful they butt and she jumps around and runs in circles.
We just laid her down and made her submit. As soon as we let her up and tried to put her in her pen she fussed and fought but soon submitted and went in.
We aren't sure if she's going to settle and eventually accept the dog or if this will continue and we'll have to get rid of her. What do you all think? Thoughts? Advice? Experiences?

goatgal35
Starting to Crow

Re: Aggression or normal and to be expected?

Post by goatgal35 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:33 am

My goats all hate dogs and always have. The reason we got our first goat many years ago was to deal with the neighbours dog.

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:24 am

My milk goat hated the dog when we got her. Would have done him serious damage, tumbled him and rolled him with her head. He got wise and started to play heads up, and she got scoldings. Took a couple weeks, but it works out fine now, he and she are part of the group tho not friends.

Not sure what you mean by making her submit. You can do that with dogs, but goats are a horse of a different colour so to speak. As for her wrestling with the young male, sounds just normal, establishing and maintaining hierarchy.

Good luck with it, goats are a pain but wonderful at the same time.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:19 pm

My adults were raised with dogs from birth, and tolerated them...Never friends, but didn't toss them either...Until Ma and Aggie had kids last year. After that, the dogs couldn't go anywhere near the girls, and Pa took his cue from then. Dog soon learned that wherever the goats were, was to be given a wide berth. I'm not sure there's any way to 'fix' that. I'm ok with it, because if a wild canine comes around, All 200 lbs of Pa will toss them into next week lol

JP*
On the Roost

Post by JP* » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:48 am

Our friendliest Nigerian Dwarf Goat is rough on the dog. He won't hunt the dog down but if the dog is within a step of him the goat will give him a shove.

I think it is a good thing. You wouldn't want them thinking the coyotes and wolves are friendly.

G Williams
On the Roost

Post by G Williams » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:24 am

In the old days when dogs ran free people would get a Billy goat to run with their sheep for protection.

Return to “Goats and Sheep and Other Small Hooved Critters”