meat breed goat

Forum rules
As per Ferrier1987: You are supposed to post pictures when you post about your baby goats. Its a rule here. I just made it up as a rule, but its now part of the forum rules I have decided.
KimChick
Head Chicken

meat breed goat

Post by KimChick » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:57 pm

Are there any particular breeds of goats that are best for their meat?

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

meat breed goat

Post by windwalkingwolf » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:07 am

Thick, stocky goats like Boer are most often used primarily for meat...next most common is probably Saanen, which is a dual-purpose large-framed goat. Those are the two that are likely easiest to find. I myself am raising Saanen crosses...each generation picked for the qualities I, personally, want in a goat, namely big, heavy frame and scads of milk LOL. There are other things I'd like to work on, but since I want the kids raised naturally (no sweater-wearing bottle-babies here) and don't want loads of them (7-10 is about all I can manage, max, at a time), I will be happy with what I have. But for the record, all goat breeds taste the same :) Delicious!

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

meat breed goat

Post by Farrier1987 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:32 am

Another that is touted as a good meat breed is Tennessee Fainting goat. Definitely built for it be I don't care for them for one reason. The fainting part. As I understand it, when they stiffen up and fall over, they are having a mini epileptic fit. I guess this amuses some people, but I don't like it and won't have them.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

muffin
On the Roost

meat breed goat

Post by muffin » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:37 pm

BEST EVER meat goats are a cross of Nubian with Saanen, or La Mancha. Grow FAST and big, better by far then Boers (I have bred them, I do have experience). And not graesy fatty, like Boers either (We do eat goat).

KimChick
Head Chicken

Re: meat breed goat

Post by KimChick » Wed May 03, 2017 10:22 pm

Thanks!

Return to “Goats and Sheep and Other Small Hooved Critters”