Baby goats, Muffin take note.

Forum rules
As per Ferrier1987: You are supposed to post pictures when you post about your baby goats. Its a rule here. I just made it up as a rule, but its now part of the forum rules I have decided.
Flat Rock Farm

Post by Flat Rock Farm » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:06 pm

Farrier you definitely get a B+ even though it's not your goat, it is pretty darn cute!!!! :love smiley:

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:30 pm

I tend to use ziplock baggies since we had lots to put in the freezer and they take up less space but anything will work! Point is of course is to not waste such a precious resource as real colostrum. Guess we're lucky we have dairy sheep and tend to get lots so we have it on hand but many seem to not try to get some for those times you need it.
Former dairy shepherd and owner of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd pup.

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:10 pm

roflmbo roflmbo roflmbo

egg-centric
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by egg-centric » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:01 pm

Farrier1987 wrote:QR_BBPOST
This is an Alpine doe and her Nubian cross buckling. First timer, no problems. The neighbors are sort of noobies too, and phoned at 5 this am wanting to know if I wanted to come over and watch, I demurred. They knew because they have a baby monitor in the barn, and she had wakened them. Baby was up and nursing. I milked her half out about 10, so the baby could latch on easier and get the milk production coming and make her bag a little slacker. All is well.
We have a buckling born 1 March and he, typically for a single, only nurses on one side so we have to milk out the other. Has this happened to your neighbour?

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:32 pm

I was over there this aft, he is going after both sides. But your situation is not at all unusual. As he grows and needs more, he will likely go both sides. But make sure you keep the one he is not nursing milked down so she doesn't get mastitis or great discomfort. Also, if its really full and tight, he may have trouble latching onto that side, so milking some out lets him get on if he wants to.

Good luck with it, and as I said for Muffin, you are supposed to post pictures when you post about your baby goats. Its a rule here. I just made it up as a rule, but its now part of the forum rules I have decided.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

poultry_admin
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Post by poultry_admin » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:29 pm

Farrier1987 wrote:QR_BBPOST you are supposed to post pictures when you post about your baby goats. Its a rule here. I just made it up as a rule, but its now part of the forum rules I have decided.
Rules are added.

roflmbo
Be brave enough to suck at something new!
Political Grace: The art of disagreeing well.

Return to “Goats and Sheep and Other Small Hooved Critters”