Pic of the Goats

Forum rules
As per Ferrier1987: You are supposed to post pictures when you post about your baby goats. Its a rule here. I just made it up as a rule, but its now part of the forum rules I have decided.
Flat Rock Farm

Pic of the Goats

Post by Flat Rock Farm » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:49 pm

Oh how cute are they!!! Bet you have double trouble there :goat:

JP*
On the Roost

Pic of the Goats

Post by JP* » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:31 am

The goats are doing well. They seem wary of each new food I expose them to......and then it becomes their new favourite. Yesterday was Staghorn Sumac.

Here is a pic of them trying to have a snooze.
Attachments
Snuggle Goat.jpg

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Pic of the Goats

Post by windwalkingwolf » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:13 am

SO cute! Keep the grass short on the outside of the fence, or they will, and by December you'll spend half your day extricating upset goats, or fixing fence or both :D

JP*
On the Roost

Pic of the Goats

Post by JP* » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:15 pm

We got about 4-5inches of snow yesterday. The goats aren't sure about it yet. This morning there weren't any little goat tracks in the snow. The goats are starting to get fuzzy though!

A quick Question on DE: I feed 1 tsp DE daily to the wethers with a mixed grain/pellet ration (1 cup). Am I increasing their risk of developing stones or UC?

The Goatlady
Newly Hatched Chick

Pic of the Goats

Post by The Goatlady » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:15 am

Your breed of goat and wethers has the least chance of urinary calci ....boers are another story
That breed...especially boer bucks over 6 months on very heavy grain ration get UC....remember goats are deer not beef cows....fiber and more fiber...especially 2nd cut hay feeding....yes..they have developed special pellet rations for raising bucklings to market ...so the chance of calci are slimmer....you are doing a great job with your kids...entertoxemia is a bigger problem on over fed kids on a heavy grain/pellet or high butterfat milk rations....not to mention worms is the next worst problem for goats.....goats that live in a forested area for grazing ..only eat the first 4' of the trees...worms don't live on trees compared to grass pastures...not to mention pine needles do a great job of scrubbing the stomach worms (barber pole) and provide loads of vitamin C ....which is important for goat health...make sure they get goat vitamins and minerals (high selenium) and sodium bicarbonate free choice....have fun!!!
Last edited by The Goatlady on Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Goatlady
Newly Hatched Chick

Pic of the Goats

Post by The Goatlady » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:39 am

Don't forget a mineral molasses lick block and a salt block....for them to enjoy!!!!!

JP*
On the Roost

Pic of the Goats

Post by JP* » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:48 am

Thanks for the comments. I will do as you suggest and get a lick, salt and sodium bicarbonate free choice.

With the greenery mostly gone they are almost entirely on hay and the feed mix. The goat berries have changed a bit but still look healthy. Taste the same. ;)

JP*
On the Roost

Re: Pic of the Goats

Post by JP* » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:01 pm

I was looking for a more recent pic of the goats but all I have is videos. I will need to take more pics.This pic is from September 2016.

The goats made it through the winter. So far they have gone through 16 small square bales of hay. 1/2 of which is on the ground.
3 bags of feed mix. They have been chomping on some vegetable scraps too.

We are re-homing the goats. The neighbour beside us made a complaint to my spouse. I do understand....they have become more vocal this spring, mostly in the morning when they are "hungry". Really, they just want more grain.They are addicted.

They didn't eradicate the poison ivy and once it starts to leaf out I will apply RoundUp as the label suggest on the jug.
I am sure if given the whole summer in the PI Pen that the goats would have cleared it out.

How noisy are Coturnix Quail? They can't be any louder than the local birds (Robins, Red-Winged Black Birds, Mourning Doves etc), right?
Attachments
Goat Pic.jpg

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:43 pm

Coturnix quail males are very noisy, females are good though. Some males don't crow as much , just have to pick the quiet one or just keep females. The males are far noisier than wild birds.

JP*
On the Roost

Post by JP* » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:13 am

kenya wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:43 pm
Coturnix quail males are very noisy, females are good though. Some males don't crow as much , just have to pick the quiet one or just keep females. The males are far noisier than wild birds.
Thank you for the tip. Noisy Males. Got it. Do they crow at sunrise/sunset or just on any whim?

Return to “Goats and Sheep and Other Small Hooved Critters”