Capons

Forum rules
As per Ferrier1987: You are supposed to post pictures when you post about your baby goats. Its a rule here. I just made it up as a rule, but its now part of the forum rules I have decided.
TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Capons

Post by TomK » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:03 pm

How does one caponize a rooster?...anyone done it?
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Doug The Chickenman
On the Roost

Capons

Post by Doug The Chickenman » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:18 pm

At Spencerville Fir a few years ago in the Barn of learning Joe had a Caponing set from the 30's of 40's it even still had the instructions.

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Capons

Post by windwalkingwolf » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:19 am

I have never personally attempted caponizing at all... I looked into it a few years back, after hearing there was a fairly sizeable market for them, and after youtoobing the procedure, changed my mind lol. Banding animals is easy for me, but caponizing is major surgery--I would be cutting into the bird's thoracic cavity, and they need that cavity to be closed to breathe; the thought of my birds suffocating to death because I didn't pull the skin tight enough before cutting or something, freaked me out a little. Best time is at about 4-6 weeks old, so step one would be to make sure you actually have a rooster lol. The older they get, the harder it is on the bird, because the incision has to be larger and larger, and intercostal and renal arteries are RIGHT THERE. I think the testicles are too large at sexual maturity to even consider it on an adult bird, though I'm sure it's been done. There are several farms in Ontario that caponize, or used to, one I think in Cobourg. If it's something you're considering, an up close and personal look would be much better than youtoob. Practice is essential, on already dead cockerels preferably.

Maximus

Capons

Post by Maximus » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:06 pm

Ummmm. Why would one castrate a rooster/cockerel?
Wouldn't that remove what his sole purpose is for? Fertilization, flock protection etc?

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Capons

Post by windwalkingwolf » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:47 pm

Maximus wrote:QR_BBPOST Ummmm. Why would one castrate a rooster/cockerel?
Wouldn't that remove what his sole purpose is for? Fertilization, flock protection etc?
For the same reason one steers a bull--food energy is put into growth instead of dominance and mating behaviour. The neutered bird puts on more meat than a comparable rooster, and doesn't get tough like a rooster, which means you can butcher a Capon at a year old or older, when they're much more flavourful than a 5-month old cockerel. Capons are used in lots of high-end restaurants.

Maximus

Capons

Post by Maximus » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:57 pm

Wow! Who would of thought/known. Certainly
Not me.

Thanks WWW

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Capons

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:39 am

Our butcher has capons occasionally and it's interesting to see the shape of the carcass, pretty much the same as a large hen. Would love to have few of those in the freezer, but not enough to be willing to dabble in surgery. ;)

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Capons

Post by thegawd » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:09 am

wernt Capons more of a way to make use of the roosters instead of just culling them as chicks? Lizzies Grandma absolutly loved to eat Capons. she told me all about them back before she passed. she used to raise them herself on her Nova Scotia homestead. im pretty sure she bought or bartered them allready caponed but she told me how to do it. i was just thinking WOW who comes up with this stuff? but if it is a way to make a more delicious and useful carcus from a rooster then cool! much better than culling them as chicks. but then again 50 years ago layers were more dual purpose birds to begin with right? Im glad to be working with the RIR, perfect homesteading birds!
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Epona
Starting to Crow

Capons

Post by Epona » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:40 pm

Capons used to be quite common, a longtime ago. We used to always buy in about 30 chicks of this type. Grew to a good size and very flavourable. Haven't seen them in years.

Return to “Goats and Sheep and Other Small Hooved Critters”