Castrate lambs?

Forum rules
As per Ferrier1987: You are supposed to post pictures when you post about your baby goats. Its a rule here. I just made it up as a rule, but its now part of the forum rules I have decided.
Blue Heron Farm
Newly Hatched Chick

Castrate lambs?

Post by Blue Heron Farm » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:38 pm

I am looking for advice on castrating male lambs that will be used for meat in the late summer and fall. Many people have told me that it should be done because an un-castrated lamb tastes rammy and they grow faster if they are casterated. Others say there is no need to do it because it has no effect on the end product and its just unnecessary pain for the lamb and risk of infection.
I had 3 ram lambs born last spring that I did not castrate and I had them all butchered in late summer. They tasted great and were between 100 to 110 lbs each live weight.

What do you guys think? Do you do it? Why or why not? Thanks
AKA Hackmatack Ridge Farm

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Castrate lambs?

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:56 pm

I like lamb to taste of lamb. Not the pap they sell in stores. I think it will depend on the breed and your end consumer. In the UK they used to be ringed if you are going to do it. I've never eaten Icelandic but I'm told it has a nice sweet flavour anyway, not overly strong.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

coonhound
On the Roost

Castrate lambs?

Post by coonhound » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:59 pm

ram grow fasts than castrated males than ewes personally I wouldnT castrated them

JP*
On the Roost

Castrate lambs?

Post by JP* » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:03 pm

My vote is for leaving them intact.
You had success last year, no reason to expect different this year.

Blue Heron Farm
Newly Hatched Chick

Castrate lambs?

Post by Blue Heron Farm » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:17 pm

Yeah I agree. I have not done any this year yet and I wont. Also another reason for not doing it is I can sell them as breeders too. I think the only reason to castrate them is that if you keep them intact you have to make sure you get them all butchered before any of your ewes come into heat or have a secure place to keep them where there is no chance of them getting to the ewes. That can be hard when you have Dorpers like me because they can breed 3 times in 2 years so they can come into heat anytime.

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Castrate lambs?

Post by Farrier1987 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:19 pm

I agree with Blue Herring. No need if you are using it in reasonable time. They will grow faster, muscle up sooner with the testosterone in the system. The reason the commercial producers do it is for easier handling, more docile. If you do decide you need to, I like the elastics at a young age, or burdizos, which crush the cord through the skin but don't break the skin. Commercial producers doc the tails and castrate at the same time. There is a hot iron that burns them off and cauterizes at the same time. Is actually not very nice, but does a good job. Clean, quick, which are very important.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Blue Heron Farm
Newly Hatched Chick

Castrate lambs?

Post by Blue Heron Farm » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:49 pm

OMG that sounds awful. Ill stick to the natural way. That's the way we have always done it. Just wanted to know what others were doing.

Return to “Goats and Sheep and Other Small Hooved Critters”