Looking for feedback on Critter Ridder product

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:56 am

Havahart Critter Ridder (1 kg shaker) is on sale at TSC this week for $11.99.
http://www.tscstores.com/1KG-CRITTER-RI ... 6Szg9IrJhE
I've never used it before. Has anyone used it? If so, what did you think of the product? Does it work? Only for some animals, but not others?
I'm thinking of getting some to apply around the perimeter of the run and along the top supports, to discourage squirrels from getting in and eating the feed. They get in via a tree in the middle of the run that we have never managed to successfully close off with netting, and lately they've become a real nuisance again. Nothing like the chipmunk epidemic a few years back, but enough to make a noticeable difference in the amount of feed being consumed. Plus, those things carry all kinds of cooties, and they sit right in the feeder to eat. :barf:
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:02 pm

Personally weve only found it useful in winter around bushes in flower garden . Personally in my one outdoor pen or in loose in barn i feed twice a day what theyll eat ,poultry , in 20 min . Squirrels as u know wont come where thares no feed . May take 10/14 days to break the habit . Luck
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Post by thegawd » Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:32 pm

Jaye what about a pellet gun? to close to neighbors?
Al

Home Grown Poultry

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:08 pm

don't waste your money on critter ridder.....
something way cheaper and works just as well is buying bulk chili pepper (ground) from bulk barn. and reapply after it rains or is hot for a while or after a day in direct sun.....

i second a pellet gun. or a good squirrel dog.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:25 pm

Thanks, Ross, for the review. Guess there's no point in buying it if it's only sort of effective in the winter. I could try the twice a day feeding, but I'd be worried that if they didn't have access to feed when they wanted it during the day, they'd get bored because the run doesn't have a lot to keep them entertained and enriched. And boredom may develop into negative behaviour habits. I don't get home until around five thirty and leave in the morning by 6:30, so that's a long time for them to get up to no good. I have noticed too when I am home on the weekends that the squirrels are most active early morning and late afternoon - right around feeding times. I have a treadle feeder half built - just need to make, attach and fine-tune the feed bin door and the treadle (the most challenging part of the project), but just haven't had the time the last little while with too many other things that are higher priority. I'm hoping to tackle that again soon though. Maybe that will solve the problem.

Good idea, Al ... except yes, the run is pretty close to the neighbours' property lines. Also, I've never used one before, so I'm guessing my aim would be extremely bad. I did actually borrow an old pellet gun from a friend of hubby's who has been away on training with the Armed Forces, so I really should get out there and find time to practice.

Thanks, WLLady. I will try the bulk barn chili pepper route. Unfortunately our best squirrel dog is no longer with us. Our current dog, Scooby, is getting up there in years, his joints have gotten rather creaky, and he just can't be bothered chasing after them any more.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:53 pm

Welcome , Only bored people eat to much lol . Build some littleroosts / hideaways in pens like OC does & throw the odd branch with freshleaves on it to chew . Luck .
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Return to “Misc Equipment and Supplies”