Post by Maximus » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:46 am

Here's what you need
image.png

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Water Proof Feeders

Post by WLLady » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:24 am

i have pretty much the same thing, but didn't put the water bottle on the top because to fill with feed it's heavy...LOL. a 3 foot feeder will feed 4 birds for a week without the bottle on top, provided they don't shovel it out on to the ground.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Maximus

Water Proof Feeders

Post by Maximus » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:26 am

Seems awesome to me. Especially the water proof part seeing as I don't feed in coops

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Water Proof Feeders

Post by WLLady » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:50 am

if you leave the water bottle off the top, you can get orange test caps for the pvc which fit over the pipe itself. i just use a feed scoop to fill the pipe. the orange cap would make it water proof too, and then you'd have finite feed in case the wild birds or coons figure it out....use the 4 inch pipe though, layer pellets i found will jam and make a back log in the 3 inch or 2.5 inch pipe. the 4 inch doesn't seem to jam. and if you leave the bottom unglued (just push together) you can take the bottom off to get rid of any dusty stuff that would build up at the bottom. i love the feeders....had an issue with some birds shovelling, but a piece of duct tape over the mouth to close it half off (mine doesn't have the overhang) solves that issue.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Robbie
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Water Proof Feeders

Post by Robbie » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:54 am

I've seen those, they certainly look cool, but only one chicken can feed at a time, and that pipe ain't cheap! I liked the one that was posted (maybe Jaye?) made from a large bucket, with a number of holes in the side, and the end pipes going in towards the centre of the bucket.
:sFun_mornincoffee:

Doug The Chickenman
On the Roost

Water Proof Feeders

Post by Doug The Chickenman » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:19 am

I have similar and I also made 1.5 inch ones for grit and oyster shells.
They are only in certain smaller coops.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Water Proof Feeders

Post by ross » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:34 am

Use mine in bush at bait stations ( deer , rabbit , coon ,squirrel .
. Only put whole corn in mine .
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Maximus

Water Proof Feeders

Post by Maximus » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:52 am

Is baiting ethical? I have had natural resources show up last year with deer bait located adjacent to my property and ask if I was baiting. They said it isn't recommended because the deer learn to not forage, causes malnourishment, digestive issues, smaller offspring etc.

But then considerations for less and less areas for deer to exist and thrive in should also be noted. Personally, I wouldn't bait. I agree with the human intrusion theory into the wild species. We just need to let nature be natural.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Water Proof Feeders

Post by ross » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:42 pm

During season along with Salt block . Not enough to fill um just a candy spot . There's a difference between baiting & feeding continuous . Set the bait up then the cameras & see what's there . Depends how you look at it I guess . Bird feeders all year round what is that called . Luck
PS Sandy your last statement if that's so why did you get your xbow to shoot a coyote whose just doing what's natural . Build a stronger coyote proof pen away from edge of bush & its do able instead . Just an observation , not lookin to start a whats right or wrong post here . What I do is legal & ethics are a whole different matter which separates the Hunter / Conservationists so the antis can jump in and yes I will shoot over legal bait . Also great way in N Ont to be sure bear is not a female . . Luck
Last edited by ross on Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Return to “Misc Equipment and Supplies”