Butchering bantam roosters.

Processing for your own freezer and cold storage, canning and pickling....
Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Butchering bantam roosters.

Post by Skinny rooster » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:25 pm

I feel really good about what I did today. Usually I end up selling the bantam roosters or just killing them. However since prices are $1 for a box of three I decided to eat them. I hate the time it takes with bantams roosters and so little meat. I decided to try to just pull the breast out. It worked really well! I can't believe the amount of meat I got out of those little guys. It was quick too, no plucking etc. They were about 4.5 months and slightly bigger than my Wyandott bantams. Now I think what a waste letting others go. Somebody was getting good meat for next to nothing. I am going to do all the rest this way as well. Sadly out 14 roosters, 7 are the prettiest roosters I have ever owned but they are mixes and nobody wants those. I forgot to get a picture of them before lights out.

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Re: Butchering bantam roosters.

Post by windwalkingwolf » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:49 pm

Pretty bantam roosters? Were any of them crested? No, don't tell me lol.
Seriously though, good on you, and when you taste that breast meat, you'll kick yourself again

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:19 pm

BBQ Banty Breasts ummm . Good stuff man .
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Post by Skinny rooster » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:40 am

windwalkingwI amlf wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:49 pm
Pretty bantam roosters? Were any of them crested? No, don't tell me lol.
Seriously though, good on you, and when you taste that breast meat, you'll kick yourself again

Oh no! Yes WWW they were all crested and show quality crested!!! Hahaha, no just kidding, just the usual single comb types but they had beautiful colours and big tails.

You are right lol, I am double kicking myself. I made the best tasting chicken soup/stew I ever had. I used only what I grew myself. Carrots, beans, onions, green peppers and a little bit of spinach leaves. The only thing not from the farm was the salt, pepper and a few spices. It was soooo good.

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Post by Skinny rooster » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:04 pm

I did it again Friday evening, I killed a group and it took no time at all, now I am really kicking myself. One thing I also learned is that under 5 months is so much easier. Some of the roosters were half bantam, half standard Ameraucana, they were 4 to 4.5 months and after I pulled the breast out, I discovered that I could pull the skin off the rump like pulling off a pair of pants! I was able to get the thighs and legs as well with little effort. I noticed the two who were over five months had much thicker skin which made it more difficult and also had that "smell" I hate. Going forward I will butcher at 16 to 18 weeks. These guys taste so good in home made spaghetti sauce too! I think that's what I'm going to do with them. Now I can't stop thinking about the Welsummer incident, I had three Welsummer roosters in a box at an auction, 4.5 months old and got $2 for the box, take off selling fee and commission not to mention gas.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:27 pm

I was wondering why just breast, legs work the same way.
Glad you found a way, I have decided long time ago I would rather eat them then take them to an auction.
DH just processed 3 three month old cockerels and every time I go by the fridge I catch myself smiling.
Not the same expression I have when standing over a store meat counter, trying to decide if I would be willing to eat anything that's on offer.

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Post by Skinny rooster » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:25 pm

Ontario Chick wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:27 pm
I was wondering why just breast, legs work the same way.
Glad you found a way, I have decided long time ago I would rather eat them then take them to an auction.
DH just processed 3 three month old cockerels and every time I go by the fridge I catch myself smiling.
Not the same expression I have when standing over a store meat counter, trying to decide if I would be willing to eat anything that's on offer.

I am converted now for sure on this lol, no young roosters will ever go to an auction again from this farm. I had much more meat from these little guys than I thought possible. I ended up having to make both a stew and spaghetti sauce to be able to use it all. I still have about six to process but they are under three months.

I also used the axe and old butcher knife to harvest the good scraps, I boiled them in an old pot to make cat food, the girls don't mind a few feathers in their food. Actually the cats did something I liked, they refused the raw chicken, they smelled it and retracted, looking at me confused, they knew it was their chicken buddies and wouldn't touch it. I planned on cooking it for them anyway. They have no problem eating store bought raw chicken, I intend to keep it that way and not confuse them.

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Post by Skinny rooster » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:39 am

:big chicken:

Yesterday I butchered four more roosters, I think I am becoming addicted to the flavour of farm fresh chicken in soups and things, I'm not joking lol! My word of warning, I can't believe the difference if you let a rooster get over six months. I killed one that I had been going to keep and it was a lot more work even though he was the smallest. The younger ones I can just pull the skin off like pajamas but not him, it was a lot tougher. Even the meat was not as appealing, should be ok in soup I think. From now on I will be sure to butcher by five months. Five guys left, one I am keeping and the other four are only three months so I will wait a month or so. Probably keep one or two of them as well.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:52 am

Over 6 months will be delicious BUT make sure you let him rest in the fridge for several days for the muscles to relax, my older turkeys I leave for up to a week in a good chill (after butchering of course). Another problem is that after maybe early October they don't gain weight as easily especially if they free range. A slow cooker is perfect too, the meat will just fall off the bones.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Post by Skinny rooster » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:00 am

Killerbunny wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:52 am
Over 6 months will be delicious BUT make sure you let him rest in the fridge for several days for the muscles to relax, my older turkeys I leave for up to a week in a good chill (after butchering of course). Another problem is that after maybe early October they don't gain weight as easily especially if they free range. A slow cooker is perfect too, the meat will just fall off the bones.
Actually KB, a few years ago OC gave me that same advice and I put them in the fridge for a few days ever since then. Yes it makes a difference. My dad used to hang them in the rootcellar for a day or two but I didn't think that was a good idea. I usually wait five days now. I put them in a large corningware dish and just cover over the top.

Return to “Processing Your Own.....”