Winter issues

Processing for your own freezer and cold storage, canning and pickling....
MommaChick
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Winter issues

Post by MommaChick » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:16 pm

I found some young boys that were hiding when we sent the others off to camp so now I have 5 big cockerels to process and its darn cold out. Any winter slaughter tips? I was thinking of just skinning them, but any other tips would be helpful until I build my slaughter room. (its on the list of things to do) I have some rabbits to do as well.
Momma to 4 little chicks down on The Farm
Chickens: Standard White Chanteclers, Bantam Rhode Island Reds, Bantam Black Wyandottes.
Rabbits: Black, Broken Black, & Black Otter Rex
Big Critters: Milking Shorthorns (Reg and Grade), Hay burning Horses out back, and one patient man

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Winter issues

Post by windwalkingwolf » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:37 pm

I have done them in my kitchen before--killed and bled them in the sink and dressed on a butcher block or piece of cheap furniture wood--the MDF particle board stuff with plastic coating. The mess was fairly minimal, just an odd stray spatter or two from me getting impatient and putting the bird down before the throes were quite done. You have to hold the neck well if you want the mess in the sink and not on the wall :/ . I would never pluck indoors, skinning is a lot less messy. Feathers dull knives pretty quickly, so I use a utility knife, just snap the end off when it starts to dull.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Winter issues

Post by WLLady » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:54 pm

since i shoot mine, i would just shoot them outside, put them into a bucket to "relax" and once done then into the house to finish up on the counter in the big double sink. it makes a bit of a clean up afterwards with the feathers in the house, but it's not that bad.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Winter issues

Post by TomK » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:26 pm

If i did anything like you gals suggest inside the house, my coop would become my permanent domicile...lol...i think the thing to do is set up outside on a nice day in winter, get the scald pot going and just get on with it...I would keep the numbers low so that you spend the least amount of time plucking ...I might get away with evisceration indoors but I'm not chancing that anytime soon...I think if i was growing meat birds on a regular basis, I would build a kill room on the side of my new coop...good luck... :running-chicken:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Winter issues

Post by Ontario Chick » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:16 pm

I agree with Tom, also somehow the smell that is just bearable outside is seriously offensive inside the house.
I have tried to convince DH to skin the beasts, but he insists it's just as fast to pluck them.
Double set of vinyl gloves (surgical) keeps hands surprisingly warm.

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Winter issues

Post by windwalkingwolf » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:27 pm

I HATE the smell of wet feathers. Warm guts seriously smell better to me than warm wet feathers.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Winter issues

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:28 pm

Wet feather smell somehow gets into your nose and stays.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Winter issues

Post by baronrenfrew » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:35 pm

:iagree: :big chicken:
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

poultry_admin
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Winter issues

Post by poultry_admin » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:55 pm

WLLady wrote:QR_BBPOST since i shoot mine, i would just shoot them outside, put them into a bucket to "relax" and once done then into the house to finish up on the counter in the big double sink. it makes a bit of a clean up afterwards with the feathers in the house, but it's not that bad.
@TomK we are growing out only to a point where breasting makes a lot of sense. Legs aren't there and plucking is just a wast of time. I would never run a scolder in the house!
But even that is best done outside on a sunny day on the south side of the barn where no wind catches you :lol:
Be brave enough to suck at something new!
Political Grace: The art of disagreeing well.

Return to “Processing Your Own.....”