Eating an old tom turkey

Processing for your own freezer and cold storage, canning and pickling....
windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Eating an old tom turkey

Post by windwalkingwolf » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:53 pm

We had 'old tom' for holiday dinner yesterday. 3 years old when he hit the chopping block last summer. Father was a Royal Palm and mother was mixed Bourbon Red/Narragansett/Blue slate. I didn't weigh him but would guess dressed weight between 16 and 20 lbs. He was short but very meaty with a really nice fat layer He rested in the fridge for 3 days before being freezered, and again for 3 days to thaw a bit before roasting. Little bit of water, onion and garlic, a pinch of salt and pepper on the skin. Lid on the whole time, 350 degrees for about 4 hours then left in the oven for about an hour with the heat off as I had set cook time before I went to bed. His drumsticks and wing ends dried out a bit since I didn't truss at all, but apart from that I have never had a turkey as tender and juicy, and holy crap SO flavourful as that guy. So much flavour! Only comparison is another old bird I did up a couple years ago. I've got two more old Tom's out in the coop awaiting their turn. I can't wait, yum!

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Eating an old tom turkey

Post by ross » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:14 pm

Yep age IS a beautiful thing . Lol
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Eating an old tom turkey

Post by baronrenfrew » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:17 pm

Oh my...lots of bad jokes hit the filter...nope can't say that...or that....or that....

:farmer: roflmbo
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

windwalkingwolf

Eating an old tom turkey

Post by windwalkingwolf » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:03 pm

Aw, c'mon!!! I talk about eating old bird, your mind goes into the gutter and you won't even share??!!

windwalkingwolf

Eating an old tom turkey

Post by windwalkingwolf » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:09 am

Just an addendum, he fed eleven people, including several pig-at-a-trough types (and I include myself in that group--I tend to wolf my food ;) and had to work evening so was in a rush to stuff in as much as I could) with enough left over for stirfry tonight and a stockpot of soup tomorrow. Bert, I wolfed down the bird. Really crammed it down there. It was SO good. Nudge nudge, wink wink, knowhatimean?

Return to “Processing Your Own.....”