Sheltie

Flat Rock Farm

Sheltie

Post by Flat Rock Farm » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:43 am

That's too bad Sandy. Must be a bit of an anxiety thing maybe. There is a product called Adaptil that you can get as either a spray on bedding or a bandanna around the neck, it comes in a collar or like a plug in with a diffuser. Supposed to help a lot with anxiety????

I totally understand about the not getting any sleep, would not go over well here either.

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Sheltie

Post by Jaye » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:24 am

That's too bad, Sandy. If you don't mind me asking, did you have her sleeping in a separate room from the the rest of the household? The reason I ask is because my husband brought home a rescue dog a number of years ago who we were told slept in her crate, so we put the crate in the living room downstairs. She howled and cried after we went up to bed. I wanted to bring her into our room, but hubby was convinced she would settle down. She didn't. So after an hour of this, I brought her, in her crate, into our bedroom. She settled down after a few minutes and went to sleep. We found out in the coming days that she had severe separation anxiety. I got lots of practice cleaning urine out all kinds of things during that time. Eventually she learned that we weren't going to leave her, and she turned out to be a great little companion dog.
Anyway, back to the topic at hand: I can totally understand that sleepless nights are not acceptable. It's a shame it didn't work out.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

SandyM

Sheltie

Post by SandyM » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:41 am

She was at Lou's door and Joshs door both nights. Both sleep with their doors open. I tried her in my room last night but she paces and paces and then the circling and howling.

It's a problem at her home as well. It's also been at other trials and always the reason she is sent home. Howling has been going on for years and I knew about the howling before she came. I just didn't think I would have a coyote in my house all night long. Even when we were all at the kitchen table during the middle of the night, right there with her she howls and does a dance and talks. It's been said she's doing 'better' at home.

She has been crated previously and the owner believes it induces anxiety in her. She said she has come a long way since she removed the crating. I didn't want to crate her and have whatever signs of anxiety return, then send Deja back home because of howling and her old anxiety issues. I would feel awful.

It's a tough call but I can say up every night would never work. Plus I'm the type if you wake me that's it, I'm done, I'm Awake until bedtime next day.

The good thing is, it was a trial. I made it very clear howling would be a deal breaker and we had agreement she would go back home. I was her last attempt to re-home her. She said she will stay with them from now on. (Long story)

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Sheltie

Post by Jaye » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:06 am

I know you did all you could, and I'm sure that your friend understands too.
As for crating, I agree that if a dog has been improperly crate trained or not crate trained at all, it will make an already anxious dog worse, because the dog doesn't see the crate as a safe place; he/she sees it as a place he is being banished to, away from the "pack".
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Sheltie

Post by WLLady » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:09 am

Awww sandy i am sorry...but you really do need sleep! My immediate thought was shes afraid of the dark...if she cant see well or maybe had a seizure that affected her sight for a period the dark might just be scary and alone....sigh. i hope they can find her a good suitable placement somewhere. You tried-and that in itself is awesome!!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Sheltie

Post by kenya » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:16 am

Oh poor girl, wonder why she does it, maybe an animal communicator could clear it up.

SandyM

Sheltie

Post by SandyM » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:43 am

thanks everyone. I really appreciate your kind words.

I'm not sure why she howls but when I googled it, it is somewhat common in the breed. I'm sure there are a variety of reasons it could be, but I'll be sleeping tonight! Lol. It's amazing how attached you can get in 2 days. She's laying at my feet right now. Super sweet girl.

She had a problem with stairs. We worked hard running the deck stairs over and over and over again and now she beats me and takes some of them 2 at a time. We have a big celebrations pat the top and she flies down and wants to do again. LOL. I hope she continues with that because self imposed barriers is not a balanced mind set.

I agree with the crating. When done properly it's a den and a welcome space away from chaos. My dog(s) have the best sleep in their crates, doors open but they go in and pass out cold. Out of crate they are always on alert, even with eyes closed. Sometimes we'll come home and Drake won't meet us at the door and I'll go this crate and he's snoring Up a storm, not even aware we all came storming through the door.

Vision is definitely an issue, although not officially diagnosed one can just tell. On the main floor lights are left dim. Josh is a sleep walker and if he wakes and it's dark he can't figure out where he is. Lights on low and he's able to get back to bed.

Thanks again!

Return to “Furred Friends”