We finally said it out loud

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

We finally said it out loud

Post by Happy » Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:28 pm

When we had to unexpectedly say goodbye to my boy Cash last fall I really thought that was it for us. We have a 13 year old Beagle that (if I'm really being honest) neither of us really like. I know that sounds horrible. A beagle simply doesn't suit us. She was my step-daughter's dog and also a very good) deer dog in her day. She's demanding and sneaky and all about herself. She's a perpetual toddler and there's a reason why I never had children 😂. That being said-she's certainly not mistreated and she has a caring home with us for the rest of her days.
I haven't breathed a word about getting another dog because I really wasn't sure myself. And I thought my husband would be very against the idea. Despite that I have been quietly following rescue sites and watching what has been happening in the world of shelters. They are over-flowing with dogs purchased on a whim during covid lockdowns and now that life has returned to normal those same dogs are an inconvenience. I had my niece over for supper last night and she was talking about her mom's new Chocolate Lab puppy. The same breed and colour that Cash was. My husband blurted out that he thinks we should get another dog...that Cash was the best dog he's ever known and he wants another Lab or lab cross. We agreed that a puppy doesn't suit our lifestyle. We don't have the time to devote. So now begins the search. We're in no rush. Whatever dog we may find needs to fit with a beagle that has to be boss dog. She tends to get along better with male dogs. It needs to not chase chickens. I don't care if it chases everything else that has moved in around here now that Cash is gone.
Advice? I'm not even sure how to choose the right dog. Cash chose me. I didn't even want a dog when he found me.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: We finally said it out loud

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:47 pm

I hear you- NO MORE CATS!!!! Then we started looking at Rescues. Nothing really fit. Ten in the pandemic Allister and Charlie arrived (thanks @Kbr42 . Allister was only with us 8 months but seemed happy and Charlie is still here! When the tim is right one turns up. Same with our old Muppet just walked in one day.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:40 pm

Like @Killerbunny this is from the "no more dogs" household, I have a very strong feeling the right dog will come to you, all you have to do is "look and wait"...either it's going to be the right dog for you or, you are going to be the right household for "it" I wouldn't worry too much about the princess, but would definitely go for a male. good hunting :)

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:27 pm

Good hunting!

I was so jealous of you having a labrador choose you! I was never chosen, but had to look for our dogs. Our first lab came from a breeder (newspaper ad). We thought she was so incredible that we volunteered to raise a (lab) guide dog puppy, the principle reason being to find out if we could handle living with two dogs. We could, and we cried all the way home after dropping her off at the guide dog training school. I then helped out at the local shelter, hoping to find a good dog there. Eventually, I did, and life was great with the two of them until we lost them both within 2 months of each other!

I searched and searched for a well-bred labrador, with no luck. I was particular, wanting a small lab, and one without a rottweller-shaped head. No dice! I found a pup at a shelter who turned out to be a fantastic dog, but she didn't have the lab traits that I loved. She also had bad separation anxiety. Hubby didn't want a second dog this time, but I really wanted a lab. When he admired a lab at the dog park and found out who the breeder was, we went there and got a puppy, even though I realized that the breeder wasn't very good. I thought this pup might help with the S.A. She didn't, and these two never loved each other the way our first pair had.

We lost our rescue dog in February, and the man who didn't want two dogs said he now wanted two dogs.

Although we keep hearing of all the dogs being dumped at shelters, I haven't seen it at the shelters in our area. They have very few dogs, and those that they have come with baggage, are high-energy, or need to be the only dog in a home.

I found our puppy on kijiji. There are lots of puppy mill people there and you have to keep looking to find the good ones. We were hoping for an older dog in need of a good home, but they are few and far between and many people want to make a couple of thousand dollars selling an older dog!

Lab Rescue was hopeless. I filled out their form and, later, applied for a specific dog, but nada. Many of their dogs are imported from Turkey. Do give them a try though as it could be that they thought we were too old, but didn't want to say.

Good luck, and do PM me if I can help in any way :).
Linda

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:33 pm

SPCA just said they were bringing in 150 rescue dogs from the US. They just got over complaining on TV about shelters being flooded with pandemic puppies people can no longer cope with/afford/want. I wish they'd get the story straight.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Kbr42 » Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:43 pm

@Happy check-out it takes a village. They have all sort of dogs that need adopting. Mostly from the Northwest territories. My chicken friend Jen Holden runs the group. Just a thought.

lolotsung
Free Ranging

Post by lolotsung » Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:18 am

I trained Otis to protect the chickens. He's on guard all day. Loyal, lap dog, that doesn't eat chickens. I don't think he's exceptional. I think Labs are gentle souls and won't hurt people or animals. They will viciously protect their herd if they need to though... A friends Lab was sleeping in the back seat of his car with a burglar. Bit the knife hand of the burglar and wouldn't let go till the cops came. He didn't think his dog was capable of intentially hurting anyone.

You might try asking friends and family. Sometimes life gets too busy and it's better to give your dog to a good home than lock it up alone all day but you aren't at the point where you would actively look for a new home for your dog.
:broodyhen: :chicks: :feed ducks: :iheartpto:

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Post by Shnookie » Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:50 pm

My female German Shepherd is four now. I started to look for a second dog about a year ago. I thought I could find a dog from a shelter or rescue group. There are tons of puppies for sale on the internet for very large prices. The shelters here have been turning dogs over quite quickly. Some are only available for a day and then they have been adopted. I saw a few that I was interested in, but they were gone very quickly. The person who bred my male German Shepherd that died in 2020 is planning a couple of litters this year. I put my name on a waiting list for a pup. The dogs haven't been bred yet. She said she will let me know if the female gets pregnant or not and when they will be expected. Unfortunately, they could be ready to be rehomed in late fall, not the best time for me to try to socialize a pup. I haven't paid anything yet, so will wait to see what happens. If it doesn't work out this year, it's ok. The way prices are going up on everything I may not be able to afford another pet.

Return to “Furred Friends”